SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
araminty

best low/no VOC stain/finish to use on new pine floors?

araminty
13 years ago

My husband and I are preparing to rip out all the carpet in our house and install wide-planked pine flooring. I'm going for pine because I want it to be soft and have a natural (ie easily dented/character-producing) feel. I'm now trying to determine how we'll finish the floors. I need something that's low or no VOC because of my own respiratory sensitivities and because I'm pregnant (and we have a 3 year old--we want to be careful!)--also for the sake of the environment.

does anyone have any opinions on the various options we have? I want something that will wear well (in terms of aging well). It doesn't have to be glossy (i actually prefer no glossiness). Ease of application doesn't really matter so much as the finished product and whether it's friendly to my lungs!

The options I've found thus far/samples I'll likely try to order are--

pure tung oil

afm safecoat durostain

osmo polyx-oil by ecohaus

Bona's low-VOC product (sadly I can't find that they have anything that is no VOC?)

Any opinions on this would be more than welcome! Photos of anyone's floors, if you've used these products, would be great, too (particularly the tung oil, as it is sort of my top choice at this point, but I'm not decided, obviously).

Thanks so much!

Comments (2)