SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hansey25_gw

Unexplained basement moisture seeping into wood floors above.

hansey25
16 years ago

I just bought my first row house which was built in the late 1800Âs. Immediately after moving in I began a gut renovation. The previous owners installed carpet over the original floors, which I took up. I laid sheets of raw drywall on the dinning room floor for a few weeks. When I went to use them I noticed a large wet spot on the floor beneath them. The wood floors were soaked through and I canÂt figure out how or why. There were no leaks from above and there are no pipes against the underside of the floors.

This has been 3 months now and the wood is getting soft and IÂm afraid itÂs going to do severe damage. I spoke with the former owner and he told me the basement has such a high humidity that it condensates and seeps into the wood floors in my dinning room above. IÂve bought a dehumidifier that has been filling up (25 pints) twice a day.

Aside from a musty smell there are no apparent leaks. Can the moisture build up really be bad enough that it would come through the wood floors above? I have no idea how to fix them problem or what trade IÂd contact to come look at it. HELP!

Comment (1)