SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Suggestions for nervous flyer?

trianglejohn
19 years ago

I have flown a lot, but as I get older my anxiety level gets higher and higher. To the point that I deliberately sabotage trip plans to get out of flying. I've seen a therapist for years, been trained at relaxation techniques, and have tried some over-the-counter hormones and meds to get through the last few flights (benadryl and Melatonin). I was wondering if any of you had experience with simple medications that you could recommend. My sister takes zannex and swears by it. Another friend gets a prescription for Valium and swears by that. I am relatively new to this city (and job) and haven't found a doctor yet and I'm not sure I will be able to get in and see one before my summer long distance flight (there seems to be a long waiting period to actually see a doctor).

Part of my problem is that I suffer from GERD and have a minor hiatal hernia - meaning that my stomach only creeps up into my esophagus if I roll over in my sleep and sleep on my stomach. My symptoms are not like normal heartburn, I hardly ever taste food or stomach acid. I just get real panicky and nervous and have difficulty getting comfortable (sitting is best). Most of it is in the background and I can ignore it - except when I have a to sit still for long periods of time. I sometimes get flash pains and a tingling sensation in my chest but mostly it is an overwhelming sense of dread. That something bad is just about to happen. All of this was explained by the last doctors I saw but that was far away and a while ago. Actually the situation has improved, but it will never go away. I would prefer to not drink teas or fluids because this would just make me have to use the bathroom on the plane (something I hate doing). I wouldn't mind just sleeping through the flight but I would hate to be groggy after I get there.

thanks for any help

Comments (17)

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz