SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Slate, Tile or Carpet - Sunken Living Room ?

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

We have a sunken living room and I am stumped. We were going to put carpet, but we live in a very warm climate and are outdoor people, so I thought easy care would be better. Wanted slate but we are thinking of selling and tile store said lighter is better. What do you think of the big box store slate - has anyone used it - what did you think? I actually saw daltile slate at one of the big box stores? Our entry and hallway and family room are cherry laminate and the dark color of the slate seems to look better with the slate than a light colored tile.

Also what is the difference to laying slate as opposed to tile - do you use a different thinset and grout. When I opened a box of slate I notice the thicknesses vary - how do you compensate for that difference - with the thinset? Also wondering why I seem to see light grout lines with slate in most pictures showing slate floors. I am thinking that a dark grout would be better to minimize the seams. What size should the grout lines be for slate?

A friend has a rough surface tile and she says she never feels like she can get the floor clean - would this be the same with slate? (not that I am a clean freak or anything - a little dust doesn't bother me - but maybe it will stick in the cracks or rough surfaces of the slate?)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment