SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

transition from wood to stone, wide cased opening

flseadog
15 years ago

We are building a "new-old house", new construction but in old Caribbean Island style. Part of building in a hurricane zone means having concrete block shear walls in the interior of the house. This eats up floor space but does contribute to the old atmosphere. We will have a center hall with stone floor laid on the diagonal with a stone border. The cased opening between the center hall and the great room will be 12" because of the shear wall. The great room floor will be hardwood and the wood floor installer says the common way of transitioning is to just butt the wood floor to the stone and not to put anything special on the floor inside the cased opening. All of the pictures of old houses I've seen show some sort of "saddle" or special wide transition piece in this area.

Can anyone give me an idea of what would look authentic or appropriate? I don't want to be a pain to the installer and he is highly recommended for skill and honesty but I think he has mainly worked in more contemporary style homes and doesn't understand my concerns about the transition. Thanks.

Comments (3)