SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bentap

adivce on old rocker, crazed varnish and red mahongy finish

bentap
16 years ago

I picked up a lovely old low rocking chair, my guess about 70 years old. the finish was horribly crazed varnish, but other wise in excellent condition, including the rushed seat. My question is about the finish...I tend to leave older furniture as original as possible, and often will finish furniture with a tung oil. BUT this rocker has the old-time red mahogany stain...I believe it was used to imitate the more expensive real mahogany furniture. The question, finally, is whether I should remove the stain as well as the varnish. The varnish has to go, but the stain...the wood appears to be hickory..I am really torn.

Comments (2)

• lindac
    16 years ago

That old red stain will be a real bear to remove...I would leave it.
    And I would try to re amalgamate the finish...I know there are some people who frequent these forums who say it can't be done....but believe me I have done it....and know a lot of tohers who have done it as well.
    The trick is to find the solvent for the finish...most likely laquer thinner...but perhaps a mix of shellac and laquer thinner...2/3 shellac thinner and 1/3 laquer thinner....and then just brush that mixture on the old finish and re melt it together.
    Of course try it on an out of the way spot on the chair....but on that old red finished stuff it most often does miraculous things to the old finish.
    Linda C

• love2fish4fish2000_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

wow - found a old rocker in dad's attic and similarly trying to remove old varnish along with torn wicker seat. The varnish coming off has left reddish,brown color- not on the enitre chair because of the different woods in its making, the color is wacky. I have done other old pieces but this one is a challenge. I will be trying different methods and will follow up, hopefully with good results.