SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diy_monger

Wood flooring layout feedback requested

diy_monger
14 years ago

I'm having wood floors installed later this week. It's been quite an adventure trying to figure out which way to lay the planks (3.25" birch). Conventional wisdom and tradition say to lay the planks parallel to the long wall, but unfortunately the floor joists are also running in that direction. My contractor thinks it's OK to install parallel to the 16" o.c. joists over the 3/4" subfloor, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when spending this much money...even though I prefer the aesthetics of the planks running that way. So the choices are:

1) run parallel to long wall, but risk structural issues

2) run perpendicular to long wall, but not like it as much

3) pay 1/3 more $$ to run diagonally

Here are some diagrams showing what they might look like:

{{gwi:1539550}}

{{gwi:1539552}}

{{gwi:1539554}}

Thoughts? Suggestions? The long room (lr/dr combo) is open to the kitchen on the dining room end. There are windows along all the exterior walls.

If I go with the diagonal install, what do you think about the direction of the diagonal? In my diagram I have the diagonal running different ways in the den vs lr/dr. That forms a 'V" pointing toward the front door, which I think is an interesting effect. I'd welcome feedback on this especially.

I'm also having the upstairs hallway done. I was thinking about having a change of direction "log cabin" style where segments of the hallway meet at right angles. Here's what I mean:

{{gwi:1539556}}

Does that make sense? Any other ideas for the upstairs hallway?

Thanks!

Comments (4)