SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cba6777

Dark travertine 2x2 accent pieces

cba6777
9 years ago

I'm hoping someone here can help me!

The previous owners of our home did the entire first floor in 24 x 24 travertine with 2x2 metal accents. The metal accents are a catch-all for dirt, and they are tarnished.

I first went around trying to clean each accent tile. The tile went from a dark brown color to a golden bronze. However, it still catches every speck of dirt, and has since tarnished again.

The floor itself has tons of scratches that need to get buffed out and repolished/sealed. Apparently if we wanted to keep the metal tiles, they would have to be first masked off before the floor is refinished - so more tarnishing and dust collecting for these metal accents would be in our future.

The guy who installed our backsplash tile, who also does refinishing, tried taking out one of the 2x2 metal accents and was able to without damaging the surrounding travertine. He has given me a price to replace all the accent tiles with material we supply, then do the floor refinishing.

The problem is, I don't want another tile that has a design or ridges, nor one that would be metal. He can cut down tile, but it would add to the cost of labor for the project.

I found a St Laurent dark marble 2x2 tile on mesh that he said would work - except that it would split the tile removal/refinishing/replacing process - he said that since the marble has different properties than the travertine, it would not take well to the sanding/buffing. So that would mean take out metal tile, do the sanding, install the marble, and seal the floor.

He has suggested that if I could find a dark travertine, instead of dark marble, it would work better, but I'm having a hard time locating tile like this.

Any suggestions as to where I can find dark, honed 2x2 travertine on a mesh?

The pic is of the metal tile after it was scrubbed with MAAS metal polish.

Comments (8)