SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Lost my 27-year old son to a horrific accident

melaska
13 years ago

We lost our 27-year old son to a horrific accident on April 18, 2009. I know it's been a while but I just now found this forum. (I've been living on the Kitchen & Housebuilding forum.)

We raised our kids, 3 daughters & our only son in the wilds of Alaska. We live in the remote town of Valdez (where the oil pipeline ends). Jordan grew up on a snowmachine (snowmobile in the Lower-48). He was an expert...skillfully navigating glaciers on trips.

He went 'outside' to go to college; married, had 3 babies. FINALLY, he & his family moved back to Alaska in Anchorage. We were SO excited to finally have our son back.

The family came down to Valdez to celebrate Dad's birthday April 17, 2009. We have a snowmachine competition every year in Thompson Pass just up the road a few miles. He rented a couple 'sleds' to play around with his 12-year old brother-in-law who had never been on one. Lots of people not involved in the competition go up to play.

Mandy, his wife & I stayed behind to make a picnic lunch to take to them. She left, I stayed to finish making Jordan's favorite 3-Seed bread - he twinkled his eyes asking, "You ARE going to make my bread, right?" Of course, son. How could I resist his charm? He was a bear of a man, 6' 7" and the room would light up when he walked into it. Kids would run to him begging for attention...he had such a big heart.

I was baking it when I got the call. From hubby. Sometimes cell service out here in the woods is spotty. All I heard was "...is dead!" I know my husband, he doesn't kid around like that. I said, "WHO'S dead!?!?" "Jordan!" "You'd better not be kidding me!" I scream. Hang up. Go down the hall wailing & slamming fists into the wall. "NOOOOOO!" "OH MY GOD, NO!" I'm shaking. I HAVE to call my daughters...the most horrific call I've ever had to make.

Later, one daughter tells me she recognized the screaming wail over the phone (I got her husband first). She's worked in many ER's and recognized the sound. Horror...shock. Disbelief.

HOW? WHY? WHAT HAPPENED?!? TELL me...I need to know!

Jordan was highmarking (this is where they ride their machines as high as possible up the mountain coming back down & seeing how 'high' they can make their 'mark'. Jordan & Joe (his brother-in-law) were on their way back to the truck when Joe points to a particularly high & steep mountain and says, "Let's do that one!" I have to think Jordan had pause, he was probably just so excited after so many years away from the mountains.

He was on his way to high mark, telling Joe to only come up less than halfway. Jordan had just turned to come back down & Joe hears a huge booming crack...looks up & the whole side of the mountain is coming down toward Jordan (& ultimately in Joe's path). Jordan sped down the mountain toward Joe screaming at him to "GO!" But Joe was frozen in shock. Jordan was thrown off 3 times but managed to get back on. He swam in the snow when he was thrown off the machine. JUST as he reached Joe, the sled's runner struck right beneath the base of his helmet breaking his neck instantly.

He was buried in several feet of the avalanche almost at Joe's feet. His Dad saw the avalanche but he didn't know what was happening or who was involved. He thought, "Jordan should be speeding up here any minute exclaiming, "Did you see that, Dad?!?!" But...no Jordan. Hubby got a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. Our worst nightmare was realized that day.

Jordan could've 'sidehilled' out of the path of the avalanche but he chose to save Joe or at least tell him what to do.

It's been 21 months. The reason I'm here today is because I've been going through a grieving arc. I describe it as my grief is in various-sized boxes sitting on a shelf waiting its turn to be opened. It's like God says to me, "Ok, sweetie, it's time to open another one...let's pick this one for now...I'll be right here with you."

I've read a few of your stories & I SO appreciate this forum. I will try to respond to some as I am able. I just wanted to get my story on here for now.

I loved the dream story one of you told of your husband giving you a kiss...that really touched me. I, too, begged God to give me one. I have 1 daughter who dreams of him a lot...I finally had one. Maybe I'll share it someday...it was astounding (to me, anyway).

Having such a horrific death in our family, especially a child, has really opened my eyes to my present loved ones. Hubby & I never say goodbye to each other without really locking eyes, a kiss & a heartfelt hug & "I love you!" I vaguely remember the last hug I gave my son before he left. He was so excited to get out the door. I'm so aware of mine & my hubby's mortality - I'll be 60 in a couple months, hubby will be 63. I do NOT know how I would cope with losing my beloved husband...I told hubby that I couldn't do it...we'll just have to go together. I probably am focusing on it too much...there's not much I can do about my time. I'll just have to trust that God will be with me no matter what.

Thank you for listening thus far...it just kept pouring out which I know is part of the process. I'll post a few pics below to share my memory of my precious son, Jordan ♥

This was taken during a sad goodbye when Jordan & family came up from CA to visit a couple years before they came back to Alaska. It's like it could've been taken that very day of his death.

Me & my beloved son.

Gramma & Jordan's children about 19 months later.

The last picture I took of him...the night before.

Comments (8)

Sponsored