SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_hargreaves

Small Space Challenge

Ann Hargreaves
17 years ago

Hi,

I needs ideas on where to place my dining area.

I have a 1600 sq ft California bungalow. No, this is not my vacation home, it is my main residence. We are a family of 5, including two teenage sons and my mom. Mom is there about 6 months out of the year. As you can imagine, space is at a premium.

We converted the formal dining room into a 4th bedroom for my mom. Now, where do we eat? From June to September we eat outside, as we have a beautiful backyard, with a dining area, deck, etc.

The rest of the year is the challenge. We often have informal gatherings. We would like to have a dining space to seat 4 regularly, and with some tinkering accomodate others. Usually, if I have a larger gathering, I set up a buffet table.

Ok, the two spaces I have available are the living room, and the family room. The living room is a 14 x 22 rectangle. One of the long sides is open to the entry. One short side has a window.

The second space is a family room 12 x 14, rectangular. The short side wall is a fireplace/bookshelves. The other short side is open to the kitchen.

We would like to have TV's in both of these areas, if possible, because our viewing tastes differ.

Where should I set up my dining area? Ann

Comments (5)