SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Chicago Mattress Company & Other Used Mattresses Sold As New

Yes, this happens in America more often than you think. Here is my public service announcement / soapbox.

Always check for law tags on the mattress you receive!

Big store, little store, whatever. If there are no law tags or if the law tags do not read "All New Materials" and have the date, then the mattress is used.

In St Louis and probably around the country there is a growing problem with plum used name brand mattresses being sold as new under the guise "floor model".

There are also companies like Chicago Mattress which recover old mattresses for a living. The new line is "this is eco friendly". Supposedly they only take the best springs which have never been left outdoors and supposedly they remove all the foam layers and padding.

It has been a few years since I put my hands on any Chicago Mattresses, but I suspect this is just more BS. A trucking company, Advanced Distribution, was trying to take Chicago some junk mattresses we had left outside. Chicago Mattresses are typically poorly marked and retail outlets like Florissant Furniture will tell you they are "new".

More people than you believe accidentally end up with other people's junk. Why? State governments are broke and do not enforce laws and regulations. Welcome to an error of small government and folks are broke and can not afford to support retail outlets.

If you want a second hand bed buy it from the original owner. At least if you come to my house to buy my mattress you can tell if the place is clean and you aren't buying one of a hundred which have been rubbing each other in the back of a trailer!

Law Tag

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedbugs are near impossible to kill

Comments (6)