SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisale_gw

Refinish oak floors or install new hickory???

lisale
10 years ago

We refinished our 1967 oak floors last summer w minwax stain and oil based poly, throughout the house except kitchen and family room. The smell lingered for 6 months and i got headaches and nausea for months too. Unfortunately, now the floors are peeling and bubbling!!!
We are embarking on a kitchen and FAmily room remodel and I love the look of hickory flooring! We are struggling now with weather to put down unfinished oak and sand and refinish all the oak on the 1st floor (LR,DR,foyer)or to rip out the oak and put in solid 2 1/4 hickory instead. The cost of both options would be similar.
If we refinish, we would go with the water based commercial grade Bona Traffic poly. It is much more expensive than the oil, but it has lower odor and VOC's.
My biggest reservation with putting down new hickory and ripping out the oak is that it may not lay as flat as the oak currently in place does. The house was built in 1967 and there has been some minor settling. So, the floors are not completely flat in the foyer. Over time the oak has settled along with the house and conformed to its shape. Not sure how the hickory would react to this?
Any opinions as to whether we should replace with hickory or just match and refinish? Any feedback is appreciated!!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath