SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
htrinh

What's going on with my hardwood floors?

htrinh
10 years ago

We've only been in our home for a few months and have hardwood floors everywhere. We've never had hardwood floors before so I'm learning how to take care of them. Mostly we have pine floors that were installed when the house was built in 1970. They look beautiful. But there is an area of the main floor (the kitchen, foyer, living room) that has been remodeled with prefinished flooring where they tried to match the original.

This new section is my problem. In the kitchen and in some high traffic areas where the previous owner didn't have area rugs the floor has a grayish/cloudy look. After scrubbing it, I found that it is a layer of something that is coming off. You can see it in the picture below. The left side is where I have cleaned and the right has not been cleaned.

It's great that it comes off. (Oh, cleaned with a vinegar solution and also did another area with just water and dawn with the same results.) But now I think the floors look pale and when I look at the floor closely I'm worried that I am scrubbing off the stain. Is that possible?

Any idea what it is I'm cleaning off the floor? Could it be the polish? Am I hurting the stain? Any suggestions on what I should do? This section of flooring is quite large so I'm really hoping I don't need to have it sanded down and restained.

Comments (8)