SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Installing wood stairs...how to trim sides

weedyacres
12 years ago

I just ripped out some hideous berber carpet on our stairs. What's left is pine risers and treads, upper part between two walls, lower part has one side exposed. And the treads are only 9" deep, a code violation even with the carpet. I've hated them ever since we moved in 4 years ago.

My plans are:

Risers: 1/8" plywood, cut to size, nailed to existing riser, putty holes, paint cream to match the trim all over the house.

Treads: oak treads, cut to size, dark stain + poly, nailed or screwed into place. Possibly some cove molding under the lip of the tread, since it'll be overhanging about 2".

My questions:

1. I'm planning to cut the treads to size and stain/poly them before putting them into place. Do I use nails or screws? I used finish nails on the trim around the top and it doesn't feel as secure as screws would. However, if I use screws, then I'll need to plug the holes and then stain/poly just the plugs. And that won't look very even, will it? Do I just have to stain them in place and clean up the surrounding paint afterwards?

2. Right now the pine treads and risers extend past the edge of the open wall. I'm going to cut those flush with the wall. The treads will over hang the wall, but the risers will be flush. But then after installing the new risers and treads, you'll be able to see the edge of the pine boards. I know there's trim you can install (or skirting) but then you'll see the edge of the trim on the riser. What's the right way to do this so you don't see any raw edges?

Comments (11)