SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

OT: Invisalign

runninginplace
12 years ago

Now that the kids are older, the household expenses have dropped and I am in the life phase of realizing some of my own dreams I have finally decided to begin on this one: having straight white teeth! My bottom teeth are crowded and quite crooked, I have an eyetooth that never descended giving me a snaggle-tooth grin, and they have a yellowish cast. For MANY years I've been embarrassed by my teeth and smile. And I've had periodontal problems which have led my peridontist to repeatedly recommend orthodontia for better tooth/gum health as I age.

I was the oldest in my family and though I needed orthodontia my folks couldn't afford it although my younger siblings all had their teeth done. My husband has a (cute) gap in his front teeth but otherwise his are naturally straight. Luckily one of my kids had perfect teeth; the other was unfortunately bucky beaver so that one got braces.

A week ago I had spacers put on my lower teeth-they hurt-and on July 5th I'll get the teeth molds done which should get me started on the Invisalign treatments at the end of August.

Anyone here done Invisalign, or know anyone who has? I've read exhaustively about them of course. The orthodontist I am seeing is the one who did my child's work and who is listed by Invisalign as an expert. I trust him completely.

Would love to hear from anyone else about experiences, thoughts or advice.

Ann

Soon to be *formerly* 'snaggle-tooth-annie'

Comments (12)

• amj0517
    12 years ago

My mom had a snaggle tooth because of the crowding on the bottom. Her orthodontist said she could not get Invisalign because the crowding was too bad. She had a tooth pulled (not the snaggle) to make room and now has traditional metal braces. She said they are painful but I know she'll be happy with the end-result. I'm not sure if Invisalign is painful too. I've never had braces but I can see my lower teeth getting more crowded as I get older. I'm sure I'll get the snaggle tooth too. Darn genetics!

Good luck!

• User
    12 years ago

While I don't know anyone who has had that done but I'd like to say a huge GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'm also an elder sibling, second oldest of 5 but have two younger sisters who's timing was much more advantageous financially and as mothers we always tend to put ourselves last. It's nice to hear that you're doing something you've wanted or even needed to do for yourself for an obviously long time. I hope the process goes well. -- Lukki

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I got braces at age 60, after a lifetime of hating my smile. I was somewhat embarrassed to be at the orthodontist among all the teens and certain that I'd be the oldest patient they'd ever seen. But one assistant told me they'd had a woman in her 80's who could no longer drive, so she rode her bicycle to her appts! I think it was worth the pain and expense - not perfect, but better. I couldn't have invisalign, but have clear retainers that are similar. I love them. Good luck!

• User
    12 years ago

I had invisalign quite a few years and they worked great. I didn't have crowding, I had an overbite due to being a tongue-thruster. I kind of wish I was taught how to stop the tongue thrusting though, because I still have to wear the retainer at night, forever, or my teeth go right back out. But the nice thing about invisalign is that if your teeth do start to move back after you are done with the braces, you can always use the invisalign system (keep all of your retainers or whatever they're called) to move them back. Anyone have any hints about stopping tongue-thrusting?

• bac717
    12 years ago

My brother used the invisalign system about 6 or 7 years ago and had good results. In addition to straight teeth, he ended up losing some weight as well! Why? Because you wear the system 24 hours a day and remove the mouth pieces only to eat. Each time you take the mouth pieces out to eat, you must brush your teeth (and maybe even clean the mouth pieces - I don't remember for sure what he said) before you put the mouth pieces back in. He said it made him think twice about eating between meals.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

One other thing I forgot to mention - I bought a fairly inexpensive ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean my invisible (and wire) retainers. Just added baking soda to the water and plug it in while I shower in the a.m. and while getting ready for bed. It keeps them SO clean! (And I can clean my jewelry when needed, too!)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Had it, loved it. Still wear the last top as a retainer. My top teeth started to shift in my late 30s. Tooth to right of my front tooth still shifts if I don't wear the retainer at least twice a week.

• User
    12 years ago

My sister started with those white ceramic braces but was moving to another state so the orthodontist removed them and had invisalign retainers made for her to wear until she continued treatment. She never had her teeth finished but considers it from time to time. She's planning on using invisalign. The only thing I would think about is how often you need to go. You said you researched up so you probably already know the specifics. She mention she would have to go every few weeks and have new ones made which is time consuming. I also think it was more expensive.

I had some lovely snaggle toothage myself and went with the white ceramic braces in my early 20s. I still do wear my retainers occasionally at night. Treatment didn't take long and I'd probably pick the same route again.

You'll love your new teeth! I'm so happy I went through with it.

• User
    12 years ago

You do have to go I think every few weeks, can't remember if you wear each one for 3 or five weeks, but you don't go to have them made - you just go to pick up the next one. The next one is waiting at the orthodontists office, you just go and make sure it fits right, that's all. It just takes a couple of minutes.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I didn't have to go that often the entire time. Once you get started, they give you several sets. You were each set two weeks (or at least I did).

• User
    12 years ago

Mine would only give me one at a time - I guess it depends on the orthodontist. It certainly makes sense to give more than one at a time!

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First, thanks everyone for such kind and generous reactions! I was a little worried that folks would think it's a foolish indulgence. My husband was a bit taken aback, until I explained that it's more than simply cosmetic-although the cosmetic is important to me, I'll admit.

And thanks to all who shared your experiences. Invisalign is supposedly much less obvious and much more comfortable than wearing metal braces. Re. comfort, I'm already seeing something that would be a dealbreaker for me with the old fashioned gear. I tend to get canker sores extremely easily when my mouth tissue is irritated. Just the small rubber band spacers between my lower teeth have caused my mouth to erupt. Since they were placed last Wednesday, I have sprouted 6 canker sores where the bands are rubbing. There is NO way I could deal with metal and wires for a year+. Hoping the plastic retainers are smooth enough not to cause such aggravating sores.

My orthodontist says it will take ~15 months. I will find out exactly what his schedule of office visits is when I go in next time, but every 6 weeks or so isn't too arduous. And his office is 10 minutes away so that shouldn't be a problem. He also gave me a family discount and a no-interest payment plan over the length of treatment so the finances worked out as well. Guess straight teeth are meant to be in my near future!

Thank you all again--lukkirish, especially to you for really getting what this means to me.

Ann