SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_altieri

Advice on two vastly different hardwood quotes for the same space

Tiffany Altieri
13 years ago

I have three bedrooms, two landings (or as I call them - hallways) and 30 stairs that I want put down hardwood flooring on. For the stairs I want wood treads and white painted mdf risers. They are fully enclosed on both sides, no bannisters or other fancy edges. I have gotten two vastly different price quotes to do this and wanted your opinion on them.

Quote #2 is just south of 9K. We'd be using an Acacia @ 5.29 per sq ft. They suggested stained oak treads and noses as this wood does not come with a trim package, and I was worried about matching treads to noses.

Quote #2 came in at $15,700. We'd be using American Walnut @ 7.41 per sq ft. It does come with a complete trim package. Without the stairs, they quoted the price at 10K. Which means they are charging $190 per stair, painted MDF risers, only the treads in wood.

1) Something seems amiss to me with such vastly different quotes and 2) is $190 per fully enclosed stair reasonable?

To be honest, I was expecting Quote #2 to be higher, but I was thinking in the region of 12K-13K. Do I have unreasonable expectations?

Comments (9)