SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Healthy Check-in: June 2014

hhireno
9 years ago

My 78 yo MIL fell and broke her ankle. She has to stay off the foot for 6 weeks, which means using a walker & wheelchair. My SIL is shocked by how weak MIL's upper body and her uninjured leg are. MIL walks for exercise and looks good for her age so I guess we thought she was in good shape, forgetting it's more than still wearing a size 6.

I think it's very common for women to have limited upper body strength.

This is a reminder to all of us to build muscle and stay strong. I want to still be traveling and hoisting my own bags into the overhead when I'm older. And have the strength to lift myself from a sitting position.

The inlaws have been considering downsizing but can't seem to decide what to do. This need for a wheelchair shows them that their current house is hard to navigate (too much unnecessary furniture) and the doorways are too narrow for a wheelchair.

Their biggest hurdle in preparing to downsize is getting rid of stuff. My FIL has collections he thinks are valuable (they're not). My MIL is sentimental and holds on to things. She just discovered that she still has her Girl Scout uniform from the 1940's. (I contacted GSUSA and found a way to donate it to our local GS council.) I don't understand holding onto memories if you don't even remember you have the item or where it is stored.

My goal for this month is to have a fitness evaluation by the trainer at the gym. I want to be sure I'm doing what I can to be as strong and healthy as possible.

What are your goals for June?

Comments (14)