SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvsteph7_gw

Newbie (at this bulletin and at 'grownup' furniture)

pvsteph7
16 years ago

Wow! How did people make purchases before bulletin boards like this existed? I just spent months planning an Alaskan cruise with the help of a similar forum, so much information!

And now I find myself needing to buy furniture for my new (and first!) house. I've skimmed a few threads, and it seems like you guys are all high-end, expert furniture people. So, please humor me and my ignorance in furniture and let me know what you think:

I need to furnish a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, and bedroom, in a smaller-type house (thinking sectional, compact furniture, etc). so pretty much a whole house...I'm looking for a decent starter set (no IKEA like stuff), cannot afford the really really high quality furniture, and like many other people, like the look of Pottery Barn. I was even contemplating buying from PB until I read these threads, and now think I'd like to find something better quality for that price. So I guess my price range is about Pottery Barn-ish, or a little less. And quality that will last a while, but not forever, b/c this is only a starter house and I will eventually (5-10 yrs) be upgrading furniture again.

Also, I am located in Los Angeles, and am at a loss for where to even look for furniture (besides the main chain stores, PB, C&B, Ethan Allen). Any thoughts on where I should look? I'd like to ideally see the furniture in a store, since I'm pretty picky about the firmness of my sofa (who isn't?!)

Apologies for the long message, I don't know how much information is relevant. ANY advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (5)