SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdw1_gw

Thoughts on setting up furniture yourself or paying for set-up

sdw1
10 years ago

We just purchased a discontinued entertainment center in another city and state, about 2 hours from our home. We just paid them $250.00 to have it delivered to our home, but are now having second thoughts about having them handle the delivery, as the display unit seemed to have some issues with doors not closing, etc... The woman who works the office at the furniture store told me they take the furniture out of the box and set it up at their store, prior to delivering to our home. The console does not need any set-up, but the hutch will need multiple pieces put together. Also, it has various options such as wood doors or glass doors, etc... We want the piece to be set up totally according to directions and not just in a haphazard manner.

We are very particular about scratches, etc... and this is the last discontinued item in the box. We want ALL the pieces to be brought to our home that comes with the unit. We are pretty handy with tools as my dad used to teach wood-working classes. Has anyone had experience with setting up furniture themselves? Also, if you opt to take it home for delivery yourself, if something is broken when you get home when and unbox, would the furniture still be covered?

Lastly, this is an aside, but the store charged us tax on the item. Is that normal for a furnitures store to charge tax when the item is going to another state? I thought it was somewhat odd as the woman seemed to make an issue of mentioning the tax charge more than once. We had just been to another furniture store in the same state and they said they did not charge tax for delivery in another state. I thought the use tax was paid in your own state. Thanks for any advice you can provide!!

Comments (2)