SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyfladeziner

Convert Chair to Glider w/ Leggett & Platt Glider Mechanism?

BeverlyFLADeziner
10 years ago

I would like to be able to purchase a stationary lounge chair off CraigsList and convert it to a swivel glider.

Can one of the furniture forum industry veterans tell me what I might need to know when looking under the chair to make sure the part can be securely anchored, what product/glider part I need to order, and a source where I can purchase it?

Comments (3)

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

You'll need to have support(s) that run across the bottom of the chair, front to back. The model that I have has a 5.5" lift from the floor to the bottom of the mounting board. Four bolts or screws attach the mech to the supports.

I get L&P mechs directly from them. My sales rep is don.nichols@leggett.com from their Cleveland, TN factory. I just send him photos of what I need, tag if available from the old one, and he'll respond with a model # to order and price. If you don't have an account, you'll have to pre-pay as they don't take credit cards.

The part # for the one I have pictured is 1841390000

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

The reason I mention the lift is that you want the skirt to hit the floor in just about the same spot. So if the legs are 6" you are pretty close -- 5.5" for the lift and 3/4" for 1x4 supports, for example. If your legs are shorter than this, you'll have to have the mech up into the under seat area. So check the suspension there. And you'll have a little more work to do to inset the supports. For example, there's usually plenty of room with sinuous (zig-zag) springs, not so much with coil springs.

The glider part of the mech also extends 1.75" above the mounting plate, so if you are getting the right offset with 3/4" wood, you'll have to allow for 1" into the chair. Thus, you may need to remove or make slits in the stapled on dust cover.

In the photo, your supports will run from the 1 o'clock to the 7 o'clock position and you can see the plates and mounting holes.

If the dimensions work out, this is a pretty easy retrofit.

This post was edited by bobsmyuncle on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 16:04

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bobsmyuncle. Thanks, that appears to be all the info I need.