SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oopsagain_gw

Allure TrafficMaster Warning

oopsagain
16 years ago

In our opinion, Home Depot should be ashamed of selling this product. We installed oak Allure in 3 rooms plus the main hallway of our home. Much to our horror, when natural light strikes the floor, a very obvious defect pattern is revealed because every plank has an indented area a few inches wide in the middle. When overhead lighting is turned on (which it was during installation) you cannot see the pattern. Took pictures down to Home Depot as well as some left over planks (once you are aware of the situation you can feel the irregularity) and was told by an associate that it is not a product he recommends. It looks terrible and we are going to have to replace our brand new flooring. A huge waste of money, time and effort. We are totally mystified by all the positive reviews of this product.

Comments (121)

• cor_jo
    8 years ago

Purchased Allure in April and within a few hours the product was showing wear. It scratched when walked on and was easily torn. We went to Home Depot with pictures and they refused to assist us in any way. Tried making a claim with the vendor who informed us the product IS NOT guaranteed against scratching, tearing or other signs of wear. They came up with endless excuses as to why the warrenty is void. Within a day we experienced the worst ad this now looks terrible. The product is readily penetrated when objects such as cell phones are dropped on it and scratches when furniture on rollers is moved. I am very disappointed that Home Depot will not stand by the product and the vendor will not either.

• Elle B
    8 years ago

car_jo, did you use the glue stick planks or the click in place planks? Just curious as we are looking at the click planks as the glue sticks have had bad reviews. But would not consider the clicks, either if this is the product you are having this trouble with. Thanks

• Related Discussions

Allure flooring

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you for sharing your experience. When you say it scratches easily, do you have pets? Can you give examples of what is causing the scratches and in what room. I think it helps to know if it is normal activity creating it. The wear factor is made more relevant. Thanks again
    ...See More

TrafficMaster Allure Grip Plus

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, I just installed it in our back entryway. I love it! It's beautiful. It went down SO fast! And I think the beveled edges are better because I don't freak out over seams (you see them anyhow). I think they are beautiful! Don't worry about the streaks i the photo. Me (and the dog) had tracked some drywall dust through and I did a very poor job of wiping it up :) I was planning to install this in the living room, but I stumbled across a pallet of prefinished oak at Restore for less than the Allure, and I couldn't pass up that deal. I have installed the Allure flooring in 6 bathrooms, a kitchen and now this little project. This new Allure Plus is my current favorite, though this Travertine look I put in the last bathroom comes in a close second (It is not the "plus" version)
    ...See More

Allure Traffic Master Flooring

Q

Comments (3)
    I used it for the kitchen floor in my current 1500 sq ft ranch. It is not an expensive floor and it has a little bit of a cheap look to it. I used their white color which I don't think they sell any longer. It was more a grey color and never looks dirty. It was easy to install but you have to stick it right the first time, I found them difficult to separate and reposition. I've had it down a year and it has held up well under two active dogs. Their claws made some marks in it initially but they didn't penetrate the surface at all and as I suspected, they no longer show now. I've splilled a couple liquids on them and wiped them up with no problem. They are thin but for me they were the perfect height with subfoors to match the height of the hardwood I have in the rooms that adjoin the kitchen. For an inexpensive floor they lay flat and look decent. They now have a commercial line you can order at HD that has some more interesting patterns and options and I would they would be more durable.
    ...See More

Traffic master allure plank flooring...anyone have it?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have it, in my current kitchen and dining room, in "Hickory". It's been down for about 5 years. I love it, how it looks, how it feels underfoot, and how easy it is clean. We've had friends from Europe get down on their hands and knees to touch it, not believing it's not wood. It was the best product for our older house, which had an uneven floor, and we were able to lay it ourselves over the existing (hideously ugly) vinyl sheet flooring. And the price was right : ) . The one disadvantage is that it can scratch/mar fairly easily. But no one flooring product is bulletproof. This one ticks most of the boxes for our family (kids, no indoor dogs). It was our first experience with vinyl plank flooring, and for our new house we decided upgrade to Karndean for the durability. I hate to say it, but I think I like the look of the Trafficmaster better (shh....).
    ...See More
  • c21kmercer
    8 years ago

I bought Allure flooring for a rental and it is lifting in several places at the seams. It has a 25 year warranty however Home Depot and Traffic Master have came up with several reasons why they will not reimburse me. Most were ruled out except we did not use a 100 lb roller during installation. When we purchased the flooring an employee at Home Depot recommended at hand roller that we used. I will never use this product again or shop at Home Depot. Very unhappy.

• cor_jo
    8 years ago

we used the glue stick panels the glue has not been a problem-- yet but it has deteriorated on the surface all too readily and is now scratched from even gentle use

• mholmes899
    8 years ago

I just put down two rooms with Autumn oak, and I'm happy with it. What people need to know is before you put down these floor, you have to make sure the subfloor does have moisture. Cement floors have moisture so you have to put underlay ment.

• Erik Ohlson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is a really good product.

Our floors were awful, cheap, wall-to-wall carpet installed after a house fire. The cheapest the insurance company could find.What with pets and normal wear over 10+ years, they needed to be replaced.

After the fire, the house got rained on through the ruined roof - tarps kept blowing away: standing water puddles on the floors; from thia snd the 40-year age of the house, the floor wasn't level enough for "click-together" planks - they un-clicked as soon as walked on, so I went with Allure, a dark wood plank pattern, right over the old, scarred plywood sub-floor. It's like one extra-thick sheet of vinyl from one end of the house to the other which just lies on the subflooring: SUPER!

I don't recall ANY problem with smell. Installation was easy. I did NOT use a roller, but I walked on each joint as soon as I got up from sticking then down.

I did the whole house in spring of 2008 - 7-1/2 years ago. The biggest part of the job was removing LOTS of nails but I did not fill the nail holes. I filled some large knotholes with cement floor-levelling compound; just the worst holes; not the nail holes or plywood joints. The floor is great! - pet stains just mop up, chair casters work fine.

In one hallway, where the glue strips are you can see slight 3/4 inch wide depressions on the long edges of the planks in reflected light, I suppose this is what the first poster was complaining about, it's insignificant IMHO.

The only room that didn't get Allure was the kitchen with vinyl fake parquet which was new at the time but is now worn, and I am getting ready to do that in Allure, as well. That stick-down vinyl has worn to unsightliness and the Allure I installed back then is still as good as new.

I am very happy with this floor.

- Erik, San Francisco bay area, California.

• maryj363
    8 years ago

The reviews on the "Resilient Interlocking Planks", displayed on the Home Depot website are nothing but a SCAM! We are extremely dissatisfied with the (allure ULTRA Resilient Interlocking Planks, with a Lifetime Residential Warranty) product! If you rely on the comments posted on the Home Depot (HD) website you are making a serious mistake. On the HD site, it has an overall rating of 4.2%, which is relatively high for flooring. I truly believe many of the high ratings may be from people paid for reviews, which is why I believe the HD review site is a scam. Honestly, we are not beginner DIYers. Although the actual product we purchased is not stocked by Home Depot, they did provide us with a sample and did sell us on it; an employee highly recommended the product for the lower level of our home, which is concrete, emphasizing that an additional vapor barrier was not required and saying it was very easy to install. What should have taken us only 1 day, took 3. The stated "Click and fit" did not actually stay together when an additional plank was added. A considerable amount of time was spent trying to make all the pieces stay together, which was impossible to do for the entire project. We now have a few gaps in various places and are not happy with how it turned out and feel that this may add to problems down the road. We need a resolution to this problem and felt a HD flooring person might be able to recommend an adequate fix. I spoke with a Home Depot "flooring expert" who told me he would relay the issue to his manager, who would call me on Saturday about possible resolutions, another employee made the mistake of saying he didn't know what they could do because they didn't install it. I was all over that stupid comment like white on rice; no where on this product does it state that the product should be installed by professionals. Again, this is not our first home improvement project. The comments about this product you can trust, on the HD site, are those left by people that give the product 1 star, which is probably only given because they are forced to in order to leave a comment. Anyhow, I truly hope the manager calls me on Saturday....to be continued

• Erik Ohlson
    8 years ago

OK, I'll second that --- for the "Click-and-fit" which needs a very level floor, I had the same experience as you: it kept popping apart.

HOWEVER, what I was writing about, above, is the resilient plank/"tile" flooring which is glued together by overlapping edges with an about 3/4" wide overlapping strips of contact cement at the edges (you peel off a protective strip of non-stick tape and mate the second "plank" to the first, and so on. Here is a video showing installation. Please note the wide clue area on the plank edges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS9zkbySzNw

This gives you a sheet of extra-thick plastic flooring with no actual gaps covering the entire area - a room or in my case, several rooms an entry and a hallway - all in one piece, impenetrable to liquid and as easy to clean as linoleum but a LOT tougher.

Mine easily went down over old, pretty beat-up plywood subflooring. It's been 6-7 years now and still perfect and I'm getting ready to do the kitchen in light oak pattern.

Stay away from the 'ultra" click-lock stuff.

• maryj363
    8 years ago

Well, a bit too late to stay away from
    the stuff that should be off the market. We checked the floor and read
    all manufacturer instructions before beginning the install. The floor is
    as level as any floor can be, totally within the manufacturer's
    guidelines. When the HD rep gets here, he will see for himself and
    better not even think of hiding behind the false claim of a non-suitable
    floor or incorrect installation. The fact is, this is the second
    generation of the same product and they need to go back to the drawing
    board and, in the meantime, give people their money back for this less
    than acceptable product, which HD is still actively pushing as "the
    best" of the allure line. It is the most expensive, but no where near
    what is claimed on the HD site.

I'm sure the people that are looking for a suitable flooring product
    will be thankful for your experience and the time you have taken to
    clarify the difference between the two products.

I think its good that this site exists for those looking for real
    solutions to home improvement help. Lets hope HD does the right thing here, which would be to either come up with a
    viable solution to this problem, fix the problem, or negotiate a return
    of all funds obtained for a clearly defective product that cannot be properly installed.

I thank you for taking the time to respond.

• bfbrame
    8 years ago

I put 2500 bucks of allure cherry plant in my house, after one week the seams or raising. We are in our late 60s and on a fixed income and are broken hearted to be taken advantage of by HD. This stuff is a ripoff.

• ashley80j
    8 years ago

I installed the coventry oak (the grip strip, not the click kind) in my kitchen in November of 2013. I only used a rolling pin (the baking kind) to secure the seams, as a floor roller was not available in my area. So far, I've not had a single issue with the floor, and in fact really like it. I am thinking of using it in the rest of my house.

I am getting the impression that the main issue with this product is the inconsistency. It's seems to be finicky, working perfectly for some and not so good for others. I will probably never use this flooring over concrete, because even though it says it can be used in that application, evidence would suggest otherwise.

• jbrame08
    8 years ago

DO NOT EXPECT HALSTEAD OR HOME DEPOT TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. We installed approx 1450 sq ft of Allure Cherry Plank flooring. The first pallet of flooring we put down is beautiful & we love it; HOWEVER, the last 2 pallets obviously has problems with the adhesive grip strip. Installation was all the same...acclimating product to each room for at least 48 hrs prior to installation, using the hand roller as it was put down & the 100 lb roller on each room from each direction. The pic is what we have in our den, living room & master. Halstead denied our claim due to "installation errors." DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT, THEY WILL CLAIM THEIR PRODUCT IS NOT TO BLAME.

• cor_jo
    8 years ago

Home De(s)pot has informed us that the do not act on issues of warranty saying that it is entirely and solely the responsibility of the 'vendor' They will offer no compensation for faulty product, no assistance in making a claim, or any other customer service. Before I purchased it they did not open a box so I could read the terms of the warranty and then stated they do expect their sales staff to be familiar with these matters given the details of a warranty and the wide range of products sold. However they did point out that the consumer should study the warranty of a product before purchase and to do that the consumer can request that information from the vendor. last yer I ordered some area rugs from Home Despot which they have never delivered but of course demanded prepayment on my charge card. They have steadfastly refused to fill this order and have ignored all demands to refund the credit card. I am now seeking legal assistance on this matter. I now know HD will never serve customers well.

• mholmes899
    8 years ago

Suggestion....make sure the floor don't have moisture. The moisture will loosen the glue. If you think there is moisture, put an underlay ment first. I put this floor in an upstairs room and no problem. I hope this helps someone.

• mholmes899
    8 years ago

By the way, I believe allure has a warranty.

• cor_jo
    8 years ago

While in theory a warranty is given, the company consistently refuses to honor it and falls back on endless excuses. I live in an area where temperatures never exceed required ambient range However since in this cool climate I do not have a central air conditioner the warranty was denied when the issue was that some, but not all, of the boxes contained a damaged product.

• cor_jo
    8 years ago

I continue to struggle with home depot in Prince George and have gotten legal advice and they inform me the issue is one of fraud. The home depot assistant sales manager and flooring supervisor had offered me a discount on rugs to cover defective allure. For the past three months they have told us conflicting stories about why delivery is delayed and threatened us with restocking charges if we tried to cancel the order. We tried again today. It took several hours of being told lies that the people I asked for did not work there and then repeatedly they hung up on me. I was angry and reminded them I had legal counsel I have taped and sent to my lawyer the floor supervisor's claim she has credited my credit card. It felt good to know that my lawyer has all the details and will take HD to small debt court if I am not properly compensated I am reporting this to BB.

• Connie Mcqueen
    8 years ago

I've used it in many applications and have been happy with it. Its not hardwood nor does it cost what hardwood costs to put down

but it easy to put down DIY with little to no tools, it is more durable than sheet vinyl and look good especially in a property that your going resale or rent.

• maryj363
    8 years ago

Hi! Yes, its me again and I am following up on my November 6, 2005 posts about the allure "Resilient Interlocking Planks". Back then, I advised we were extremely dissatisfied with the (allure
    ULTRA Resilient Interlocking Planks, with a Lifetime Residential
    Warranty) product and said if you rely on the comments posted on the Home Depot
    (HD) website you are making a serious mistake. I still believe this.

I am now happy to report that 1. This is their most expensive flooring, which came with a "Lifetime" warranty. 2.) I not only talked with HD by phone, but also went into the store and talked with their flooring expert, who agreed to open a claim for me. 3.) It took some doing, but with a great determination (like a dog on a bone), I eventually got ALL of my money back, without an attorney. So, it is possible.

Anyone that has considered using this product knows "Its not hardwood", but what we bought was not cheap. It was their top of the line. As a matter of fact, some hardwoods cost about the same. Enough of that...

Trust me, if you persist, you can and should get a refund for what you bought without the assistance of an attorney. No offense to the attorneys, but I think with an attorney everything moves a lot slower...could take years. Also, once you mention an attorney, most companies cannot continue discussing/working with you as everything then goes through your attorney.

• maryj363
    8 years ago

Hey, jbrame08. Good job! You've included a lot of useful information for the folks that are still having problems with refunds. Fortunately for me, I was able to do deal directly with HD, they submitted the claim for me so I didn't have all the particulars. I did email HD detailed pictures though. I was able to include an explanation right on the photos, telling them exactly what the problem was. This may have helped speed things up. In the meantime, I know what you mean about now having to replace the floor. Ours was placed in a lower bedroom, family room, and hall. We too are over 60 so not much looking forward to the extra work created. The good news is, at least there was no glue used. Anyhow, we will wait for the weather to clear and get warmer before tackling the project again.

• JRDPA
    8 years ago

We've had this flooring down in our dining room since 2010 and are about to rip out our entryway, living room, and hallway carpet to continue it on through there. We have had no issues with defects or gaps. We don't wear shoes in the house and have 3 cats (with claws), had a mini poodle, and an almost 3 year old boy and it still looks new despite water, food, etc dripping on it. There is a 41 inch wide door with a window down the middle that lets light in but that hasn't been an issue either. I clean it with a broom and steam mop with no cleaner and we occasionally use antibacterial wipes on messes. The flooring was installed over existing wood floors from the 1960s that needed restained and we didn't want to pay someone $1,000 just to do the dining room so did this ourselves in less than a day. I've included a link to what we have below. I read a few of the comments above and I don't remember how long a smell, if any, lasted.

TrafficMaster Antique Elm Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring

• roblaw
    7 years ago

I have the grip strip planks in three homes. Two are rentals. I have had no problem with them. I have used them in every room of the house. I do not, however, have a basement, so I can't attest to them being used there. Just make sure the floor is very clean under the planks --- small pieces of anything hard will eventually become evident in the right lighting.

• JRDPA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We just had our carpet ripped up in the entryway, living room, and hallway yesterday and replaced it with the Antique Elm we have in the dining room (see above) but with a plywood underlayment and there is no smell. It was done on an 83 degree day with windows and doors open and a torch was used to make some easier to cut, but no smell.

• 74ford
    7 years ago

just finished installi allure coming out as soon as we find something else. varation between boxes was the worst i have ever seen. compared box lables to make sure they were the same. home depot would not even consider replacement since i installed it.disappointed by all parties. but a lesson learned avoid allure unless you hand pick naw just avoid allure flooring because even if you mix up the tiles coming from each box the variation is too great to overcome

• K G
    7 years ago

• K G
    7 years ago

RUN AWAY as fast as you can from Allure flooring!!! I installed allure country pine in my kitchen, and although the installation part was relatively doable, the quality of the floor is the WORSE I have ever seen in ANY product EVER. We started doing the breakfast area of the kitchen and moved everything off the old floor before beginning, including an old pine hutch. As we completed that end, and before moving to the other side, we gently moved the hutch back, sliding it into position, and it left marks all across the floor- BIG marks. We went ahead and completed the other side and had to move the refrigerator out (right?). so we grabbed heavy duty moving pads and slid the fridge on the pads. After moving it back into position we saw that there were big permanent marks from that as well. If you take the time to read the ENTIRE manual, you will see they do not honor a warranty if you slide or move furniture on the floor. You must apparently lift the item up and place it down with NO MOVING ON THE FLOOR, as this WILL DAMAGE the flooring.

I filed a claim to no avail. They send a BS guy out to take a report and a couple days later they officially deny the claim, saying it is not covered under the warranty. So now I'm going to have to remove all this *^&#@*! crappy, completely worthless flooring, all this wasted effort (14 hrs to install) and start all over again. Have never been more disappointed with a product or company ever.

THE ONLY THING THIS FLOORING IS SUITABLE FOR IS A YOGA STUDIO WITH NO FURNITURE IN IT AND FOLKS WALKING BAREFOOTED ALL DAY. THAT OR A WALL OR CEILING INSTALLATION. IT IS NOT A USABLE FLOORING MATERIAL. HOME DEPOT SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR CARRYING THIS PRODUCT!!

• K G
    7 years ago

This is a vinyl kitchen and bath floor material- not a wood laminate.

• georgiaglamazon
    7 years ago

I installed this flooring through my entire house. It was fairly easy to work with, the smell was not bad, and it was a good solution for a house full of people and pets in the country where lots of dirt gets tracked in. I had a problem with one bad box that wouldn't stick, and the seams came apart. I fixed it with a combination of glue and heat. Unfortunately after about 5 years all the "travel pattern" spots in the house - down heavily used halls, in front of furniture, at the doorways - had worn along the edges and raised parts of the wood grain texture. The white vinyl under the very thin pattern layer was exposed, and in some areas had worn down to the black under layer. The floors still looked great in corners and lightly used rooms and closets, so I went through and with a heat gun and great effort removed the worst of the worn planks, and replaced them with new. It has been a couple of years and the same thing has happened again. My problem is that I haven't found anything more durable, so I guess I will replace the worn planks again. If your floors don't get much wear this flooring is a good option, but if you live in a busy household with lots of traffic, be prepared for disappointment.

• janlang46
    7 years ago
    1. I was concerned about the new construction subfloor. When the guy from Home Depot came to measure, I asked if the Trafficmaster could be successfully installed over the subfloor. He said yes. I also asked the manufacturer. Same answer. Over the past two years since it was installed it has conformed to the waviness of the subfloor. Not bad the first year, but progressively worse as time went by. Now I've been told Home Depot won't cover installation after a year has passed. It took more time for this to really show up!!!!! I will not be purchasing anything from Home Depot again. They outsource installers, which is also often the problem. I will pursue this because I can afford to. It is really the principle of the thing now. I will pursue this for all the poor people who've had trouble with this flooring but can't afford money-wise to do so.
  • Danielle Kelley
    7 years ago

We installed it in our bathroom laundry room looks beautiful! We love it so much we are doing it in our living room diningroom. The complaint you may see below are almost 10 years old. I think they got the kinks out because like I said, ours looks gorgeous.

• johnnatuten
    7 years ago

Installed this flooring in main bathroom...over vinyl linoleum...used the grouted method...it is amazing...has been down for almost two years...getting ready to put in basement family room over wood laminate that has been down for 10+ years ...will let ya know how it goes

• cbskat
    7 years ago

I waited so long to replace by carpeting searching for the right flooring. I saw in many doctors offices this new product luxury vinyl. Fell in love. Purchased 1000s/f of Allure flooring . We purchased Sheridan Slate and Teak . The Sheridan Slate Is beautiful. The Teak wood looking planks are a nightmare. The cable guy came 2 days after installation and knelt down to fix our cable box. When he got up there was a large scuff from his book on the floor. We called Home Depot and they sent 3 different people to take pictures of the flooring. The box says 25 yr. residential warranty, and expected them to help us. The manufacturer, Halstead said, Normal wear and tear. Imagine not being able to walk on a floor called "TRAFFICMASTER" . Duh, don't you walk on a floor. My small dogs nails leave scratches and his nails are ground every month. The warranty is useless. A man came in our home to take pictures with Bootie's on, and they scratched the floor. No I am embarrassed of these floors, and spent 5k. Now I need new floors again. Oh, they are 3 months old. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Defective product.

• Morgan Tierney
    7 years ago

This product is the only reasonably priced option I can find that will somewhat match my hardwoods (the blonde maple stick variety). After reading all these reviews I was pretty sceptical, until I found some remnants of my kitchen floor and realized it is the exact same product! I've lived in my home for about two years and I love the durability of my kitchen floor, but not the color, which is why I'm looking for a change. I drip water all over it and it indeed seems waterproof. There are a few scuffs now, but nothing compared to my hardwoods, so I'm not bothered. I love how easily it cleans up, too. I assumed it was a laminate click together plank floor this whole time and had no idea it was this stick-together product.

It should be noted that my kitchen floor is 100% flat and has a dry and relatively warm, wood subfloor. My house was also flipped by a contractor so I would guess instructions were followed to a T (allowing product to sit for a few days, using a 100 pound roller, etc).

I am at the very least very happy with my current install of this product, but will come back and post if the second attempt doesn't work out.

• Tom LaSalle
    6 years ago

I installed it through out my house as well as both of my sisters houses, It's been down several years in all 3 locations and looks as good as the day I installed it. I highly recommend it as a low cost durable solution to homes with pets, children and high traffic areas.

• Carrie Wallinger
    6 years ago

Allure Ultra is theoretically a good product however I have had a terrible experience with them and their customer service. We installed about 500 sq. feet (25 boxes) in 2014, and found the installation to be much more difficult than advertised. A friend assisted us who had experience laying floors and while we got it in he noted that it was very difficult to get the joints to stay together.

Fast forward to this year and we decided to replace our carpets in the back rooms of our house with the same product. Some planks in our living area had become damaged over the years but instead of pursuing a warranty claim we thought at first we would just replace them with some new planks while working on the other rooms. Well.

Turns out Halstead International (the manufacturer) changed the design of the planks in 2016. Guess why? To make the joints connect properly. Turns out they are well aware of their product deficiencies and they made the change AT HOME DEPOT'S request -- because too many people were reporting problems.

Given that this is the exact issue we have been experiencing I thought a warranty claim should be easy enough. We asked for our 2014 order to be replaced with the newly designed product because, as it turns out, many many more of our planks were damaged than we had originally thought (photos below). Under the terms of the warranty we should be able to replace the entire receipt, which would work for us as it would also match the newly installed planks throughout our house.

So far Halstead has done nothing but delay the process. I've been waiting six weeks -- they sent me a questionnaire, ordered a third party inspection, and generally have taken their time despite the fact that I have no floor in my living area at the moment and have had to cancel several appointments because of it. For their part Home Depot has refused to help so far, referring me to Halstead.

I'm pretty furious as this issue is well documented and it's clear that both Halstead and Home Depot are well aware of it. Hoping for eventual resolution (I will not be giving up any time soon) but this is not how customer service should work.

• Courtney Brandenburg
    6 years ago

Awful product for high traffic areas. We put allure flooring in our kitchen and a bath about 2010 and it looked great for about 2 years. We decided to go with vinyl because our Newfoundland dog loved water and kept knocking over his large water bowl so he could lay in it. As you can imagine this wrecked havoc on the current floor and the sub flooring underneath it. Although this did solve our water issue the pattern began wearing down to the white and black vinyl layer underneath, first in the high traffic areas and then everywhere. It also scratches very easily but this becomes less noticeable as the years go on. If I had to do it again I would not choose this product for a high traffic areas like a kitchen or bath.

• Tamra
    4 years ago

I have Allure Ultra installed in kitchen, baths and laundry room. The high traffic area is of course the kitchen. The planks are separating and breaking. This is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Working with Home Depot for remedy to this currently. I had Home Depot out for measurement and survey for the entire home. At the time I was redoing flooring for the entire house. Although the flooring specialist told me several times during the purchase process that it was easy to install myself I chose to pay them to do it.. That was in November 2015. Now it's May 2019 and the flooring is falling apart. I think most people do it themselves so Home Depot can then state it was an installation failure. In my case it may be an installation failure, but it's not on me. Beware of this product.

• hedygs
    4 years ago

Geez not acceptable

• Margaret Phillips
    4 years ago

This product states 25 years residential warranty, who do we contact our allure oak gauge 150/pattern 11053 sure hasn't stood up to its warranty

• Tim Boischel
    4 years ago

I have laid many floors with allure and no call backs you must put the iflooring in the room it will be laid for 4848 hrs to temp hot or cold and once glue strip is put together you can not unglued in my opinion all professionals will now this but a average person will run to store and come home and stArt laying this is wrong do the research

• Paddy Jay
    4 years ago

I have been installing flooring since 1999. Mostly prefinished hardwood. I have also done a lot of laminate and in the last few years quite a bit of click together vinyl plank flooring. I have been very impressed with the vinyl and I ask my customers to spend at least $2.75 or more per sq. ft. You get what you pay for as I have installed for guys that flip homes or for renters. Anytime they spent only a dollar a sq ft it always turned to be garbage and almost impossible to install as the top layer tends to peel off if you don't hold your block tight enough. I had a realtor that would purchase garbage that was being discontinued from Lumber Liquidators ( and I love their hardwoods) on his fix and flips. After installing 2 of them for him I told him if he didn't spend $1.50 a sq ft minimum for his laminate floors I would no longer install them for him, and they also could not be a discontinued product. There is a reason they discontinue them.

Anyhow my point is you can't go cheap, it will end up costing you more in the long run. So today I had my first experience with installing Allure grip strip flooring. Horrible product to work with. If you don't get the plank down correctly the first time there is no doing it over like the instructions say. If you try peeling a plank up immediately and I mean within five seconds it will tear the plank apart on the bottom. Also you can not use saws (which is what I am used to), you have to make sure you have super sharp blades to cut it which is a hazard and it would be easy to slip and cut your hand wide open. Almost impossible to cut a straight line, even using a metal edge. You have to take several lighter swipes with your blade against the metal edge and then break it apart. Don't get any debris on the sticky part or your screwed. So after only a couple of hours of frustration and knowing these joints won't stay together I packed up my tools and left. Called the salesman ( for the construction firm I sell for) who lined this job up for me ( I was doing him a favor as I don't do this full time anymore) just for friends or referrals from old customers). I felt bad but after installing quality floors for 20 years and I am a total perfectionists and work only by referral like I said, I just won't install garbage. And that's what Allure is. Cheap garbage. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on the product. You get what you pay for. A good vinyl plank floor will cost about $2.60 to over $3.00 a ft. This stick together garbage is only $1.99. So if your doing 500 ft in flooring, wait another month or two until you can afford to spend the extra $500.

• HU-902220883
    4 years ago

Installed Allure in our new home. After about 2 1/2 years, gaps began to appear where the planks join at each end. It has been 4 years now and the problem continues to worsen. Additionally, there are 3 areas where the wood-look surface has come off. There are only two of us in our household so not a lot of wear takes place plus we use A/C year round. After contacting both Trafficmaster and Home Depot, I am convinced their "warranty' is worthless and neither give a damn about customers.

• jaimemastro
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This floor is amazing & I can't even believe the negative reviews on this site. We've installed the 6 in. x 36 in. Vinyl Plank Flooring in a number of different colors on various substrates and have never had any of the problems mentioned here. It was unbelievably easy to install, looked absolutely fantastic, held up to the abuse that rental properties take constantly, and also withstood a 2018 flashflood, which was so bad that the water pressure from outside broke the back soor right off the hinges. We installed an underlay as well which obviously helped with the that last one. I've installed this floor in almost all of our rental properties and also in my own home and I can't think of one thing that my tenants or myelf don't like about it. I'd bet that most of the negative reviews on this site are the result of improper subfloor preparation or just incorrect installation in general. I'd also like to mention that I am not a contractor not am I particularly handy in any building trades but I still found this flooring extremely easy to install.

• Johnny Walker
    4 years ago

Builder installed and it looked great, until we started moving furniture across it. Furniture dolly wheels left permanent marks. The wheels were plastic as opposed to rubber but if this stuff scratches this easy, what are my grandkids and pets going to do to it? We have beach sand so keeping every grain of sand off the floor is virtually impossible. Not happy,

• William Ormond
    3 years ago

I get furious when I think of the time and money we put into installing this flooring, and why after only 2 years it all has to be ripped out. I could talk for hours on this , but keeping it short: Followed the installation prep and process to the letter. The installation went exactly as expected and Immediately after installation it looked beautiful. About 1 week after the installation we started to see some of the “glue strip” joints separating (Small gaps between tiles). Two years after installation, there are so many gaps through the entire floor (some gaps up to 1/4 inch!), we have no choice but rip the entire floor up and install something new. DO NOT install Allure Vinyl Tile.

• Donna Mabry
    2 years ago

we installed the Allure grip strip slate look flooring in my mother's Kitchen 10 years ago. it has held up incredibly well, and she states this is the best floor she's ever had. she's 92 and has had a lot of kitchen floors in her life! in this particular house, which is 47 years old, this is the fourth floor that she's put in. lot of problems with her previous flooring peeling up. the last she had was sheet vinyl, and it was peeling up at the seams. we had it professionally installed and he installed the Allure directly over the vinyl and it has never warped.

• HU-218453252
    2 years ago

I just installed the same floor with similar results. For starters, we did not actually realize at first that we had ordered grip strip. We thought we were ordering the click strip flooring. Our bad. But we had it delivered and it would have been a pain to return, but now I'm wondering if I should have. First off, the install is not as easy as it is made out to be. The first row has to be perfect so the next row alligns perfectly as well. If there is even the slightest flaw in the first row install it is really difficult to correct, if even possible at all. If there is even the slightest gap between planks you can actually see the glue strip through the gap. I can live with that to some level for a really small seam. However, my big complaint so far is that the glue doesn't hold quite as well as they say it does. After two days some seams started to separate, and corners started to lift. I'm going to try to heat up the seams and roll a heavy weight over to see if it solves the problem. I'm not in a position financially to replace the entire floor already at my expense. And the warranty is already void because I laid it on 3mm felt underlay, that auto voids the warranty. I read a few reviews that said it was fine on underlay, and I wanted the increased insulation, as the install was in my basement, which is on a slab. We do have an insulated plywood subfloor, but that subfloor was not perfect and the underlay helped to hide some of my flaws in the subfloor. At the end of the day I do like the way it looks, and I installed it myself so I have no one to blame but myself for the install flaws. We are going to live with it for a while and see if we can find a trick or two to overcoming our flaws and making this floor liveable. If not, in another year or two, I'll be installing an click plank floor right on top of it and we will have a really nice very expensive underlay under that floor for both cushioning and insulation. I do not recommend this floor if your budget allows for a better product.

• cookie061441
    9 months ago

this product seems to be a nightmare to some and a dream to others. I checked it out because I getting estimates for vinyl planks, after reading these reviews, I am ready to stick with my dirty old carpet

• Renee Rakers
    8 months ago

We installed this floor in our basement in 2010 and the floor still looks amazing to this day. We have not experienced any gaps or lack of stying together. No cracking or coroners lifting. We have been very happy with this floor.

• Renaissance Man
    7 months ago

my home came with this cheap allure vinyl tile flooring. Complete garbage fell apart a year later.