SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny1963_gw

tile vs Amtico and various other LVT questions

jenny1963
10 years ago

Hi,
I'm considering putting down tile vs. Amtico or Armstrong Luxe or another LVT in our large finished basement where I see clients and also have a large family room, as well as a guest room. We are prone to flooding and although have done everything possible to eradicate the problem, it would be foolish to continue with carpeting as I have bad flood karma.

I've read of many lovers of Amtico, and other LVT as well as some strong detractors on this site, and was wondering how people felt since Amtico was purchased by Mannington (did the quality go down only then?)
Amtico is currently made in the U.S. and not in China.

I was going to use a woodgrain porcelain tile (like Dal's), but just discovered that the installation is much much cheaper with Amtico, and that it's essentially "bullet-proof." The rest of our house has natural hardwood, stained a medium-dark golden brown stain.

Also, it sounds like if we'd like to put heat mats under tile (in lieu of radiant heat as the concrete floors are already there without radiant heat,) we could, but could not do so under LVT; is that correct?

Thoughts?

Also, which colors look the most natural, or is it better to go with something that looks painted or stained?

Comments (6)