SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hcgirl_gw

Vinyl Plank next to Laminate?

hcgirl
9 years ago

Hi, I am new to Gardenweb, but when I did searches, all these forums are so full of helpful advice, that I had to join. I live in a small, mid-70's ranch house that has hardly been updated (we usually have to fix things like the well and the roof before we can get to cute things like floors and countertops). The house is small (1600 sq ft) and has an open floorplan. We currently have vinyl wood-look planks in our kitchen (we put them in ourselves about 4 years ago) that I love. They are easy to care for and water resistant and go from our kitchen to the laundry room so it's a great application. We have horrible carpet from 1994 in the living room that abuts the vinyl floor. I would like to replace this with a nice laminate. The problem is that the flooring will be completely different. I could "match" the color (oak) or contrast it, and I am frozen trying to decide. My family wants me to just put in carpet since that won't "look weird", but I have wanted to get rid of carpet for years (dogs, kids, country life, etc). I can't afford wood. I was thinking of a hickory rustic laminate for contrast and even maybe running the planks in a perpendicular pattern so it looks like I chose different wood looks on purpose. I also considered just getting more of the vinyl and keeping the same floor throughout the living room, but I just think even if it is "wood look" it's a kitchen floor. I have a little money saved up for this and am getting a professional installer, but I have to shop for and buy product and I just don't want to make a mistake. Even though the total for about 450 sq ft will be about $2,200.00, that is a lot of money to me. I am getting a pro so that he will undercut our fireplace and also the trim will look good. Sorry for the long post, but I really need some advice. I'm not worried about resale and I am going to be buried in the yard with all our dogs (just kidding, but yeah, gonna live here forever!). Thanks!

Comments (4)