Houzz Logo Print
wxyz_gw

Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener SIMILAR Problem

wxyz
17 years ago

Originally posted in Tool Shed Forum:

Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener SIMILAR Problem

Posted by wxyz (My Page) on Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 18:36

Just replaced sprocket assembly (including worm/gear drive)on old Craftsman 1/2 hp opener (no sensors). After reassemby, opener worked fine going up, but did not go back down (only clicked). Checked limit switches, disconnected door, and manually reset limit to lower position. Again, opener rotated counterclockwise to upper limit and stopped. When pressing again, just get click. I had replaced the worm/gear in the past and did not have this problem. Prior to sprocket breaking off, opener worked well. Any ideas??? Could it be the logic board, limit switches??? What controls the 'sending' message to the motor to reverse its direction??? Don't want to invest a lot in this old opener, however did just pay for the sprocket kit. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener SIMILAR Problem

Posted by don_1_2006 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 15:06

Sounds like your 'up limit' is not adjusted correctly. If this is true the logic board never gets the message to reverse and the motor keeps trying to open the door even though it is open. Take a good look at the limit switch assembly and you should be able to tell.

-----------------------------------------------------------

RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener SIMILAR Problem

Posted by wxyz (My Page) on Tue, Feb 6, 07 at 12:47

Thanks for the suggestion. Visually, the limit switches look alright. When I manually place the 'locator' to the bottom (resting up against the lower limit) and then activate the opener, the 'locator' travels up the center screw until it makes contact with the upper limit and shuts off. When I activate it again, only get a 'click'. Specifically, what else should I be looking for on the limit switches? It makes sense that the logic board may not be getting the correct signal. Once again, thanks for your assistance!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!