SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

Chosing fabric for slipcover

diggingthedirt
17 years ago

Hi All -

I'm just visiting from the garden forums, I see there is a lot of expertise here and hope someone can help me with this question.

I would like to make a washable linen slipcover for my Archetype (Barbara Barry by Baker) sofa. It's got a "natural" cotton/linen blend cover now, but I'd like to go to all-linen for a slightly different look for the second cover. I will wash/dry the fabric several times before I start cutting.

I know most people don't like linen because it wrinkles, but I love the way it looks and I really like the way it wears. I'm prepared to live with the wrinkles - I've got a few of my own anyway.

I'm looking at linen on line, and having a hard time determining which weight would be best. Thread counts really mystify me, I'd like a tight weave and assume that translates into a high thread count and weight.

Can someone please advise me if either of these looks like it would be good for this use? I don't want something that looks like burlap, but I think a curtain-weight might be too light for this purpose. Thanks!

Thread size : 14.7

Thread count warp : 43 weft : 33

Weight : 6 oz/yd.

Thread size : 11.6

Thread count warp : 37 weft : 33

Weight : 7.1 oz/yd.

Comments (11)