SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gordo_gw

Help with Simpson Duravent Horizontal Termination

gordo
18 years ago

Hi. First post here, long time lurker. I'm very frustrated at the moment - would appreciate some insight from the pros here.

I'm currently installing a Mendota DXV-45 DV fireplace w/ horizontal termination through the wall. The flue from the top of the fireplace is a simple up 24", 90* turn towards the wall and then out ~19" to the horizontal termination cap. All of the flue parts have fit together, no problem, EXCEPT for the last pipe fitting to the horizontal cap pipes. I can't get this to fit for the life of me... spent the last 3 hours screwing with it...

What I did for that ~19" pipe that connects horizontally between the 90* and the cap is use a 36" pipe and cut it to fit (19" + about 4" to slide over/in the vent cap pipe). Once cut, I cannot get the pipe to connect to cap's pipe - no matter what I do. I even tried "cheating" a little by using pliers to "accordian" the end of the cut pipe. No go.

At this point, I'm beyond frustrated. The only think I can think of is that I should abandon the cut pipe and just buy one the pre-made adjustables.... thinking that since the pre-made has the two pre-fabbed ends, it would much better/easier than me trying to force two pipes that are the same diameter together.

Anyways, I would appreciate some advice. Help - PLEASE!

Comments (3)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

Yeah, there's a reason why they make the adjustable sections. It's because the pipe isn't supposed to be cut.

• gordo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the response Xanndra.

With a cooler head, today, I got back up there and re-assessed the situation. I took the finished ends that I cut off and they fit onto the cap very easily. The 8" pipe seems to slide all the way on as far as I need until it hits the outside plate. The 5" only wants to go on until finished end "ends".. or about 2.25". With all that said, the distance from the 90* elbow to the start of the cap pipe is 18.75". It appears the interlock overlap is about another 2.25... or 21" total pipe length that I need. Although Simpson doesn't make a 21" pipe, I think I can use (2) 6" + (1) 12" to get that 21" pipe (6" + 6" + 12" - 2 * 1.5" overlaps). So, tomorrow, I'm headed to the local chimney store to see if those three pipes will work. I'm hoping so.

I could also use the adjustable length pipe to get 21", but Mendota states repeatedly in the manual not to use adjustable/variable piping. I think that's the most frustating part... Simpson and Mendota have opposite views/directions on a number of things... from where you should/shouldn't use pipe sealant... to whether adjustable pipe is OK.

Thanks again.

• metal
    17 years ago

You should always follow the appliance manufacturer's installation instructions first. The vent manufacturer's instructions are very "one size fits all," whereas the appliance manufacturer's are specific to that appliance.