SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marinagalgw

Has anyone been called for US District Court jury service?

MarinaGal
9 years ago

I am called for jury duty constantly (10 times in 25 years - they often call me within the three year grace period). I have only served one jury, but yesterday I got called for Federal Court in Boston. I have to be on call and/or go in for 15 days and possibly serve on a long trial. I have two kids 6 and 10 who aren't in school or camp for two of these three weeks, plus my husband travels out of state (or country) for at least two days almost every week of the year. I am at home mom and we have no family in the area at all. So - it seems like that should be a consideration but on the form I have to return the only excuse for child care is if you have a child whose health or safety would be in jeopardy if you serve. I wouldn't mind serving, but all the local camps are full already, I have no regular sitter, and I am the person who stays home when my kids are sick, when there is an emergency, etc - this is making me very anxious and I wonder whether anyone here has been in a similar situation, and how the Federal Courts handle these kinds of situations. Ugh....

Comments (14)