SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Adhesive (glue) for Brick Shelf Supports

jerry_nj
18 years ago

I tried this on the "home repair" forum, not a lot of input.

Any advice here?

My fireplace has two mantel supports made from brick (used brick, old brick) that are formed by three bricks installed with the length perpendicular to the face of the brick wall. Each brick sticks out about 1/3 of its length. The top, which is mostly exposed broke at about the mid-point.

Is there a modern adhesive that I can use to "glue" the brick part back in place? The mortar that was under the brick is fully there, i.e., if the brick piece is "glued" back the mortar will not need "re-pointing" for appearance sake.

I suppose I can use some fresh mortar, but it would still be stronger if I could use some type of adhesive on the face of the fracture.

I do have a tube (caulking gun type application) of mortar patch, grey in color, but it doesn't say anything about being an adhesive, though it must have some "sticking" properties.

The repair will not have to bear much of a load, perhaps 30 pounds maximum, and that is in compression, with some "torque" at the break-point which is about 1 inch plus behind outer edge of the undlying supporting brick.

Comments (6)