SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bamckenna_gw

wood stove in existing chimney

bamckenna
18 years ago

I saw a thread back in mid-August that mentioned using a stainless steel liner up to the top of the chimney was a waste of money when installing a wood stove into an existing chimney. I've seen other postings here that say without a doubt to run it to the top...for safety and draft performance. Why is that? Hopefully I will get both viewpoints.

My wife and I bought a ranch-style house built in 1961 (in RI). In two weeks I'm having a local stove shop install my Arctic wood stove into the existing chimney box (it's a small stove and at least 10-15 years old, but it throws some good heat. I used it everyday for two winters back in the late 90's at a house I used to rent before I got married). I know from what I've read that it won't be as efficient as a new stove, but current finances dictate that this is my only option.

My questions are:

1. If my chimney liner is clay (and I would assume can handle the heat), wouldn't it still be safer to have a full metal liner?

2. The installer came to my house and said he was required to run the stove pipe pass the flue up to the liner (I think he said about 6 feet), does that sound reasonable? Otherwise to run it to the roof would be an additional $500.

3. I've read some people stuff no-paper backed insulation around the stove pipe to prevent drafts...is there a special insulation used and is it really necessary?

I know this was a lot of questions, but anything you could do to help me would be awesome.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor