SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

heat barrier, not zero clearance stove insert...

sojay
15 years ago

I have a pre-fab gas log firebox. I want a wood stove. I think I need to rip out the old firebox, it is big and protruding and ugly. The framing is wood and the wall is clad in painted wood paneling. No hearth extension, no mantel - just a rectangular frame on the wall. The opening size is flexible as it can easily be adjusted (painted wood).

If I can't find a zero clearance wood stove insert to replace the original, can I use a regular wood stove insert? What kind of heat barrier would I need?

The installation manual of a unit I am interested in says:

"The H530 Insert is approved for installation in a masonry fireplace or a metal firebox (heat exchanger) within a masonry chimney (based on UL-907 listing) or for use in an approved factory-built zero-clearance fireplace (listed to UL-127). The clearance requirement is a 2â (5cm) space between"

So I need to also buy a metal firebox, is that what that means? Or does it make more sense to keep looking till I find a zero-clearance unit? Or should I think of getting creative about designing a thick, large frame out of tile or something to cover the old unit, and just put the wood stove inside it? I think it might be too shallow, though.

Comments (2)