SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forda1

Pellet stove Insert....HELP!!!

17 years ago

I have been trying to decide whether to convert my existing pre-fab fireplace (which I don't use) to a pellet insert. I think I will be able to get the pellets this year but I'm totally confused as to which brand and which model to buy. Especially which one will fit my opening. The local dealer always wants me to come in and talk but he doesn't really give me all the answers.

I have a Majestic BR42I insert. The actual fireplace box opening is only about 20 inches high, 42 across and has a 5 inch panel on the top and bottom of the opening (I'm guessing I'd have to buy a support for the insert to rest on since most of the inserts seems to install and rest on the bottom of the hearth?). The fireplace Box is also about 16 inches deep and is about 25 inches wide at the rear.

So I'm looking at the Accentra. Dealer quoted me about 4700 installed with 2-story liner. They also carry Lopi/Avalon, St. Croix, Enviro and Country Stoves. I definitely want a dependable unit that I don't have to clean/service very often. It seems the down-feed Accentra fits the bill but the inset height (about 23.19 inches?) seems like it's to hight for the Majestic 20" high opening. It does say that it can be custom ordered in 20" and 22" high reduced hopper height but I'm not sure if the rear part of the insert (23.19") is the part that will be reduced to 20".

The Lopi Pioneer Bay looks like it will fit in my box but I've read that they're not as dependable and require often cleaning. Plus heat output is much lower.

The Country PI40 insert looks nice but I'm not sure if that will fit in my box opening. I haven't heard anything about Enviro.

Any advice as to to which brand/model I should concentrate on and more importantly, which one will fit??

Comments (11)