SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wakieone

Karastan Smartstrand 'Easton' anyone? Oh Carpetgirl dahling..

wakieone
15 years ago

Hi, folks. Found a Smartstrand Karastan product called "Easton" in a color called "Linen Suit" at a local furniture store...but I can't find any reference to it anywhere else so I can try to tell if the price quote is reasonable. Does this ring a bell with anyone? (I'm thinking it might be some version of Woodland pass...the number on the sample is 3717)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• mwrede
    15 years ago

Hi, we have Woodland Pass in our house in the guest bedrooms - (in Victorian Lace if I remember correctly) and love it. It seems that it's a different Smartstrand product called Edleston (color: Linen Suit): see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Edleston - Linen Suit

• boxers
    15 years ago

Karastan like most flooring is often private labeled or has multiple names for the same product. Unless you go store to store its not easy to prcie compare or to know if your looking at apples to apples.

• wakieone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is exactly why I LOVE this site...good eye, Mwrede! I'm prepared to go store to store with my sample, now that I have at least a reasonable idea about my comparisons.
    Thanks, Boxers and Mwrede!

• monaw
    15 years ago

I have Karastan Smartstrand in three bedrooms (three years)
    It's the Edleston. It's like a short Frieze. Great stuff- feels fabulous on bare feet like cotton.
    I've never had mine cleaned and it still looks brand new. Got mine from Carpets of Dalton in Georgia and saved a bundle. The big Karastan sales are in October and they ship all over the country. Might be worth checking into. I saved around 35% over what they were asking at Carpet One in Atlanta. You can find it at a Carpet One near you...I think they're all over the country. They call it something different at Carpet One but just ask them and they will know where to direct you.

• wakieone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Monaw-that's where we are carpeting-the entire upstairs, which includes three bedrooms.
    Did you use it one any stairs? Curious to know how the friezes stand up to stair traffic compared to cut pile.

• monaw
    15 years ago

Hi Wakieone, No stairs but excellent quality and should do well for stairs.
    Very dirt resistant. Should give Carpets of Dalton a call and check it out.
    I am working with "Pam" now. Number is #888-514-7446, ext. 437.
    Here's the scoop: At Carpet One this exact carpet is called something different, and so are the colors. I believe my carpet at Carpet One was called "Easton" but at Dalton "Edleston". My color was "Beehive" at Dalton and something different at Carpet One. Your "Linen Suit" sounds familiar but I'm not sure if that's the same color or not. It's sort of a Buff color with a goldish tint, if that helps. It cost me $3.00 a sq. ft. at Dalton, ...$27 per yard. Only remember it was much higher at Carpet One. No taxes if shipped out of Georgia, so the shipping fee is pretty much a wash, and you can save 30-50%. You just have to find your own installer. Dalton may have a list of those in your area. Good luck! This carpet is so soft--it feels like Pima cotton on the feet.

• boxers
    15 years ago

friezes are very good as your generally walking on the sides of the yarn vs on the yarn tips as you would be on a cut pile. My friend has smartstrand on stairs and they look great after 4 yrs.
    While the poster is quite excited about Carpets of Dalton, I was the Mohawk rep for many yrs. All carpet stores in America can get pricing fob Dalton GA. It makes no difference but if there is a problem your stuck. Carpet one generally works on a 60% mark up but they give great service and warranty. It shouldn't be hard to find someone local who is willing to work with you at less mark up.

• monaw
    15 years ago

You can better inform yourself here: http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/buying-carpet/carpet-prices/buying-carpet-online.php
    I know several people who have purchased from them. They can't afford horror stories when a huge chunk of their business is done over the internet.

• boxers
    15 years ago

I worked for Mohawk for 10 yrs and other carpet mills in Dalton for over 15. I guess you can believe who you wish. I'm sure you think Direct Buy and Empire Flooring really offer wholesale pricing as well.

• monaw
    15 years ago

Well I wouldn't place a bet on the two you mentioned! I am speaking from my own purchase experience as well as those I know have who have done business with Carpets of Dalton. All worked out great with no issues-

• wakieone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Monaw and Boxers-Thanks to you both for your contributions. On another aspect of this project, have either of you heard of installers caulking or using expanding foam to seal gaps between flooring, drywall and baseboards? Apparently, this helps with the dark dirt that seems to curse the edges of light carpet, in particular.

• monaw
    15 years ago

Yes we have done that as well and it also helps keeping bugs from getting under the gaps of the baseboard and coming through the cracks in the floor. We did it to our cabin as well because we had a problem with little scorpions (non poisionous!) and spiders getting in, and we no longer see any bugs where as before they were all over the place. We used caulking to fill all the gaps, but I can see how expanding foam would be good. Sounds like you have a good installer! Enjoy your new carpet!

• wakieone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Monaw-Can't wait! I so appreciate the help, and hope to be able to post before and after photos once we pull the trigger on a date.