SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vineyard_gw

Raised Hearth vs. Flush Hearth & VC Chateau vs. Lennox Montebello

vineyard
16 years ago

It's getting to be "fireplace decision-making time" for our new home under construction and I was wondering: besides the issues of ceiling height, pure esthetics and small children (hitting their head on the edge of the raised hearth), does anyone have any feedback on whether to go with a raised hearth vs. flush hearth?

We'll probably do either cast stone or cantera stone surrounds. Online, it seems that percentage-wise, I'm seeing more photos of these types of fireplaces with flush hearths, not raised. Maybe it's just the sites I'm stumbling upon, I don't know...but looking at the bigger units, most seem to have either flush hearths or no hearths at all.

Anyway, here's our fireplace list...I appreciate any feedback and/or votes on raised hearth vs. flush hearth as well as Vermont Castings Chateau vs. Lennox Montebello!

Living Room - 20' barrel vaulted ceiling, fireplace wall is 18' and room depth is 16'. Fireplace will be either VC Chateau DVT44IN or Lennox Montebello LSM45-2. I'm also going to do an overmantel, since the ceilings are so high.

Great Room - 15' ceiling with exposed wood beams, fireplace in corner, total room size is about 28' x 29'. Fireplace will be either VC Chateau DVT44IN or Lennox Montebello LSM45-2.

Master Bedroom - 12' ceiling with exposed wood beams. Fireplace will be either VC Chateau DVT38IN or Lennox Montebello LSM40-2.

Upstairs Lookout - 10' ceiling outdoor room under roof. The fireplace is centered on a 15' wide solid wall that continues 8' on both sides, then continues 8' as a half-wall. The wall across the fireplace wall is open with an outdoor staircase. Fireplace will be a Lennox Elite Outdoor 42" fireplace.

Mahalo and aloha,

Leilani

Comments (7)