SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonyp_06

Correct direction to lay wooden floor?

tonyp_06
17 years ago

Im renovating my apt and its getting time to install the wood floors. I went with engineered mirage floors for my little 1bd. My question is are there standard ways you are supposed to lay down the floors? Ive always thought that the direction the floors should be laid down in is the same direction as the longest side of the room which makes it look bigger? Any thoughts.

My problem is what to do with the kitchen and little hallway space i have between the bath & bedroom. This areas would require me to lay the floor vertical vs horizontal in the floorplan below.

My little 1bd floorplan

Should these planks also be laid in the same way as the rest of the wood in the living room and bedroom(left-right) which might look a bit odd as the number of planks would be a lot more and maybe a little distractin although it would be consistent with the rest of the wood

OR

do i lay them (top-bottom) in which case they follow the longest edge of the wall but are different to the direction of the other wood. Will it look odd where they join meetup with the other wood?

thx

Comments (5)