SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

They're saying my 99 year-old tile has to go (plumbing)? :(

theresse
12 years ago

I'm so incredibly sad about it...I took pride in how much of this house was still original. It's just the typical hexagonal tile (w/ occasional blue flowers) but when I walk on it I know people walked on it 100 years ago and that's so special to me. It just won't be the same, even if I replace it with something that looks pretty close.

They say they have to rip it out to put in new plumbing cause our pipes are old and leaking, which they are. They can't come up from below (dining room ceiling) cause there's about 6-8" of concrete that the pipes are imbedded in as well as the joists. All would be doable except for the tub which is a few feet over to the side (needs new drain pipes as well as supply pipes - the whole bathroom - which isn't a very big bathroom but it does have a toilet, sink and clawfoot tub). If they rip out just the section between the toilet and tub, under the window, I don't think I'll find close-enough matching tile for it not to be really noticeable cause it's the first thing your eye's drawn to when you walk in the room (it's not off to the side somewhere).

Has anyone heard of this problem, having cement (or concrete - I don't even know the difference!) thick flooring underneath tile, and pipes imbedded in that? I SO want to save my tile but so far a couple of plumbers have said they don't see how that can be done unless they avoid putting in a new drain pipe to the tub...but the tub drains terribly and that too will eventually start leaking if it's not already.

Here's an AWFUL picture of the floor (when it was extra dirty, too!) - taken a couple of years ago for another reason - and it's in another area of the bathroom - but it gives you an idea. You can also see the missing tile we have there by the door which I was hoping to replace with as close a match as possible. I'm also wondering if the subway tile (2x6) can be saved if they're coming in from the walls which they're also doing (it's about 8" high)...anyone know?

Thanks so much!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz