SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie3indiana

Help with fireplace design!

julie3indiana
13 years ago

I would love any suggestions or opinions on remodeling my fireplace. We removed a railroad tie mantel and a lava rock stone front and now I don't know what to put back up. The fireplace has a raised hearth and the area to be recovered is 10 feet wide. The firebox is on the left and a place to store firewood is on the right. We are installing a Mendota full view insert and really won't be needed to store firewood.

We were thinking of going with a light colored stacked stone up to the mantel and drywall above. Now I am wondering if we shouldn't take the stone all the way up. Or, should we do something else besides stone? Would also love any suggestions on what to do with the old firewood box. Make it into shelves? Cover it up? Leave it as is? Another thought would be to panel the whole fireplace front and have one of the panels be a door to access the firewood box. I just am not sure what that would look like since the fireplace would be off center. HELP!!!

We now have windows on either side of the fireplace. On the left the windows are smaller to accommodate a build-in TV cabinet. There will be a window seat on the right side under the larger window.

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Fireplace

Comments (2)