SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
souprqt_gw

New Leather Sectional Nightmare

souprqt
14 years ago

Dear Folks-

Like you all - I feel as though I had researched my new sectional to the extreme before purchasing it. We are looking for a sectional for our theater room (we like the idea of a sectional for snuggling purposes as opposed to the traditional armed theater seat versions). We certainly wanted leather with 3 kids (3,7 & 9), and we also wanted the ergonomic design that would have a reclining back, high back but not necessarily the kick out foot rest.

I fell in love with the Ekornes, but with a price tag for about $12g's we had to forgo it. I found another line called Fjords made by Hjellegjerde, almost identical to the Ekornes in quality and structure for about $8,000. Still pretty steep.

We checked out a Macy's furniture store without high hopes and I was inclined just to buy the Fjords. We came across the Rolla sectional made by (or so Macy's said) Elite Leather Company http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=385279&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results on sale for $3200 delivered. I wasn't in love with the design (or the fact that it had a foot rest mechanism) but it was very comfortable so we went home and did our research on Elite. We liked what we saw, made in USA, top grain leather, hardwood, excellent warranty, etc.

Called Macy's, talked with the furniture dept again, I was assured that Elite Leather was a wonderful company and we bought it. In the interim, I emailed Elite and asked if they could tell me if there manufacturing process was different for the items that they make for Macy's vs their product they sell in other retail shops. This was their response-

"The Rolla sectional that you saw at MacyÂs is from the Passport Home Collection which is owned by Elite Leather Company. It is a completely different line of furniture that is manufactured in China, not in our Southern California factory. Passport Home is a different entity, and is sold separately and run separately from our Elite Leather line. Under no circumstances do we authorize our retail customers to sell, advertise or promote Passport Home as Elite Leather product.

The Passport Home Collection is made of high quality materials from the frame to the leather. The warranty, however, is not the same as Elite Leather."

Now my question - do I take this info back to Macy's and confront them about 'lying' to me in that they sold me a product not as described, ask for a refund, and continue my process? Should I be nervous about the term 'high quality' and not 'the same'. (The couch isn't due to arrive for another month) I also saw a sectional by Palliser but am afraid of the quality of that product as well! I am angry and confused. Please advise!!!

Comments (16)