SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzydivine

Upholstry Fabric Durability? Velvet, Mircofiber, Rayon/Vicose?

lizzydivine
15 years ago

I am in the process of deciding on fabric for my sofa. I need something very durable as I have a two year old and a puppy. I was considering a velvet in chocolate brown. Also Ferguson Copeland offers a Vicose, but I have never heard of this. I want something comfy, soft, and durable. Please help! I would love to go lighter in color, just not sure its possible with the little hands and paws.

Comments (3)

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Viscose is a type of rayon. In my opinion, it is a spectacularly poor choice for upholstery. It will tend, over time, to mat down and water spots (think spit and urine) extremely easily.

Fabrics will have a "rub test" that indicates the number of cycles of rubbing before appreciable wear. I've seen fabrics rated from 10,000 to 400,000.

Fabrics will also have a "cleaning code."
    W - water based cleaners (this is what you need for most food and body fluid stains)
    S - solvent based ("dry cleaning") only There are few places that do this and S-cleaning does not remove most soiling and stains.
    WS or SW - use either
    X - vacuum only

While claiming a fabric is S-code is a cruel joke on cleaning people (most are OK with a careful water cleaning), there are 20% where it is serious.

Aesthetics aside, I find microfiber very easy to clean and keep good looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chenille cleaning

• cherylb-29566
    15 years ago

blends are the way to go.
    Rayon, polyester and cotton.

The new microfibers collect lint and look cheap.

• Happykate
    15 years ago

I'm thrilled with the quality & durability of Crypton fabrics. I recently did very large L-shape window seat cushions, wedge pillows, & dining room chairs in one of their fabrics (Velese, which I'm not sure they're making now. Very velvety; soft, with a wonderful hand.) I got samples and mistreated them every way I could and they never showed anything. If you can provide your own fabric I'd certainly investigate these. Their faux-suedes are wonderful. The manufacturer sells yardage, but other retailers discount it a great deal. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton