SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

In seek of advice on hardwood / engineered flooring

paul_ma
17 years ago

(This is a repost with a new title. Old title wasn't descriptive and I got few responses, but did get a suggestion to improve the title.)

I've been planning a kitchen for some time, and haven't spent much time considering the specifics of the floor till now.

I have a townhouse condo. The LR has maple-look laminate (Pergo I think). The kitchen now has vinyl and the DR has carpet. The Kitchen and DR *must* be replaced. I like the look of the laminate in the LR ok, and was thinking of trying to match it for the rest. But I am also giving some thought to replacing it all with something. If so, I would probably replace all with either engineered wood or real site finished wood.

One concern I have is that there seem to be some structural issues with the floor in the LR. If I slide my feet across it I can feel dips in the floor. The support for the floor is wood trusses on 2' centers. The subfloor, where I can see it, seems to be 5/8" plywood. I'm not sure, but am suspicious that it is not T&G. I think the dips in the floor are between the trusses. So perhaps the subfloor is just not stiff enough to span 2'. Is there any reasonable way to fix this? (E.g. bracing between the trusses.) If I don't fix it, does that constrain the kinds of flooring that can be successfully used over it?

The laminate floor also extends through a half bath, and under the toilet. Am I right to think this is bad? How bad?

I have some concern that if I try to match the existing flooring it will never look right. The existing floor seems to be in reasonable condition, but if I look across it I distinguish the individual planks. I presume that will only get worse with time. The floor transitions to carpet at an inconvenient place. I gather there is no way to "weave" new laminate in with the old (I think the planks are glued together because I found a bottle of Pergo glue.) I was told by one floor guy that I had to have a T-strip between the old and the new. I guess I could live with that, but I'm afraid the result is going to look very patched and mismatched. Would I be crazy to try to keep the existing LR and bath floor, in order to save $$$?

If I do it all over, then I have to decide between engineered wood and site finished real wood. (And something besides wood for the bath.) I really like the idea of the Aluminum Oxide prefinish of engineered wood because I tend to be hard on the floor tracking in stuff that will get ground in. (The existing laminate seems good that way.) But I wonder about prefinished in the Kitchen which is likely to get spills that can get between the planks. Is that a valid concern? Or will prefinished be as good/better in the kitchen as site finished wood?

I am not going to worry about the upstairs right now, but the stairway (in the LR) is carpeted and the carpet is shot. If I replace the LR floor then I suppose I should do the stair treads too. If doing engineered wood floors, what does one do for matching stair treads?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County