SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osucowboys

Major subfloor issue (getting ready to lay tile)

osucowboys
17 years ago

Where do I start. Everytime we tell someone our floor issue, it baffles them. We currently have brick pavers in our kitchen and entryway. They are 1 1/4 inches thick. Our house was built on a concrete slab and they counter sunk those areas (kitchen and entryway) to accomodate the 1 1/4 inch thick pavers. They meet up with our dining room floor which is wood and our game room which is tile. Currently all floors are level with each other.

Our issue is this: we need to build that floor up to lay our porcelain tile (18x18). What do we use? We have been told to use plywood then hardibacker on top of that but then some people say NO WAY (my husband doesn't think that is a good idea either). We obviously don't know the condition of the concrete underneath the pavers b/c we haven't taken them out yet but we are fairly certain it is in good condition (meaning no big cracks or anything). One guy said he'd use tilecrete but it was going to cost about $6500 just to raise the floor(we have 450 sq. ft.) Does this sound like a fair quote? Any other ideas of what we can do? I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thanks!

Comments (10)