SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Help I made a mistake on a Wood Floor Cleaner I used

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

Help I made a mistake on a Wood Floor Cleaner I used (Sorry so long but I want to explain everything):

Ok, When I had my floors installed, I used an Armstrong product that was good but left my floors with foot prints. Hence, I did research and bought the Bona Hardwood Floor Kit. It came with one bottle of Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner, One Bottle of Bona Refresher, a telescoping floor mop, a duster pad and a microfiber pad. I have used the Bona Hardwood Floor cleaner now several times and it is great and but I was realizing that I have to use it twice, once to get the dust off (amazing how much dust accumulates in a week (plus lots of deliveries with dirty boxes and delivery guys walking in my home all week) in a home office with all the equipment going) and then again to clean them so they are not smeary and have a little shine.

I decided to stay in yesterday to clean out all drawers, clean my home and make my year start off on the right path so I could be proud to have visitors.

I first spent over 1 hour getting all the dust off of my floors with a few new microfiber mops and a little seltzer. The floors looked great and I thought I would add a little bit of shine to the floors and thought maybe I should try the refresher that says adds shine on the outside since the floors were now clean and did not need a cleaner. I started to read the instructions on the back of the bottle that let me know that it was not a cleaner and was good for now wax floors like I have since my floors are 5" wide BR-111 Brazilian Cherry Engineered Triangulo floors with Aluminum Oxide coating. Then the floor rang and my friend kept calling all day since he was so bored and I kept picking up telling him I did not want a visitor and wanted to clean. When I got back to reading the instructions, he called again and then I forgot to read the rest and started to clean the floor making it at first look shiny when wet. Then when the product was drying it was splotchy. I got in a panic and he called again! I told him maybe I should have used the cleaner first so I then got off the floor and cleaned them waited for them to dry this time and they were splotchy which they never were each week when I cleaned them with the Bona Hardwood Cleaner. So I added the Refresher to get it shiny and the floors looked worse.

I could not sleep and today got up and used a clean microfiber pad with my mop and used a little seltzer to get rid of the cleaner and then used the Bona Hardwood cleaner.

The floor squeaks and I am so upset with myself now that I read the rest of the instructions on the bottle that says to not use on newly finished floors.

I know I get upset with others that make mistakes but I guess I am not perfect either and this is a big mistake I made. I should have not picked up the phone as I was learning to clean and read all the instructions before trying a new product that came with the Bona Wood Kit.

Did I strip the Aluminum Oxide Finish? How can I fix the problem that I caused by allowing myself to be distracted and forgetting that I never finished reading the instructions.

My new rule for New Year's resolutions is for all new products, I will read instructions and type up a label to put on each cleaning bottle for what the product is for and when it can be used or can't be used.

Comments (8)