SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

new - join me - weekly support oct 1 - 5

User
9 years ago

This forum has been dead for some time. Let's give it a kick start by bringing back the Weekly Support Thread.

What is Weekly Support?

All dieters, no matter what type of diet you choose, join in here to encourage each other to stay the course. Help each other with healthy tips, answer questions (if I don't know I am happy to research them), make new friends and be SUPPORT BUDDIES.

To start this off I'm going to introduce myself.

I am a founding member of GardenWeb from the late 1990's. My profile has changed over the years and no longer reflects the founding member icon. I come and go but I am back again looking to share my journey and hopefully get other dieters to join me in a healthy experience.

It doesn't matter how much you have to lose, I want all of us to be real losers. I am an experienced dieter - not a failure - just use it as a tool to maintain my health. The last two years I have been ill with a growth on my thyroid. This summer I had surgery to remove a large growth and I am now in the process of regaining my health. I was lethargic all the time. Slept a lot, ate comfort foods. My weight crept up while ill. So here I am now able to focus on healthy eating to regain my health. It is a lifelong journey. You may call it a journey, a diet - whatever. For me it is my healthy journey I use to reclaim and rebuild healthy living habits.

I want to help others who need a hand, share my experience with yours. We can help it other. It's a proven fact having a support system - friends - makes a difference to reach our goals and then learn how to maintain your achievement.

There are many great resources on the internet. Here are some links to get you started that have healthy recipes, healthy articles, ideas, tools. If you have a favourite site please share it. Copy and paste the links below into a new tab:

Weight Watchers both old and new points:
http://www.calculator.net/weight-watchers-points-calculator.html

Source of Different Calculators:
http://www.calculator.net/weight-loss-calculator.html

Excellent free diet community with tons of articles, recipes and more support:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Healthy Eating
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/healthy-eating.htm

I will add more links as we go along.

Will you join me and others? Here - I'm reaching out to you now - take my hand and I'll pull you along. I will also reach out to you when I need a hand and we can become a positive community.

This is not a race, not a competition. This is not a place to discriminate, judge nor criticize. This is a safe haven to help or as my best friends calls it - "a safe place to fall".

Come on - take my hand.

Have a wonderful day,
Peggy

Comments (33)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

For fun I took this assessment from the link below. I'm sharing my results with you from the final summary after completing all the question. Note there are other links to health information.

October 02, 2014
    McPeg

Readiness Stage
    Action

Goal
    Balanced, healthy foods every day. Controlling portions. Daily support buddies.

My Challenges
    I am ready. I am doing this now. I have had success in the past and I know I can do this now. I am going to have the best years of my life now.

Ways to Address Challenges
    Using scales, measures, sharing my journey and seeking daily support. Building new lifestyle habits rather than treating this as a diet. Returning to using proper sized plates and bowls for meals. Only eating the right amount of food when eating out.

Affirmation
    I promise to be true to myself. I am honestly tracking my meals so I don't forget what I have had and reinforce positive choices.

I promise to do my best everyday.

If I fall, I promise to dust myself off and get back at it.

My Action Steps
    Participating in WW at home.
    Researching healthy tips every day to help to help me stay the course.
    Honestly report my slip ups and not beat myself up - just carry on.
    Keep healthy choices in the kitchen/pantry.
    Not to deny myself anything but learn portion control and incorporating a treat so I do not feel deprived.
    Remember I am building upon lifestyle changes that I can live with going forward.
    Building my knowledge of nutrition and latest news so I can empower myself for success.
    Reaching out to others to share and help.

Accountability Partner
    My friends, family and support forums online.

Have a great day today!
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Minnesota - Taking Charge of your Health

• socks
    9 years ago

Good idea, Peggy.

When diagnosed pre-diabetic, I was "scared straight" and began a simple walking program and cut carbs in half. To my surprise, the weight slowly came off, and after many months, I had shed 30 lbs. Because I designed my own diet and it's a healthy way of eating I like, the weight has stayed off for 2 years. It has made me a total believer of cutting carbs to lose weight. Right or wrong, I don't worry about fat but try to eat healthy fats, of course.

To check carbs, calories, etc. I use calorieking.com.

If there are any other diabetics here, I heartily recommend diabetesdaily.com as a forum of friendly, helpful people. Anyone who is pre-diabetic should consider themselves diabetic, take a class at a local hospital, test blood sugar, lose weight, exercise to ward off eventual development of diabetes necessitating medication.

Hope this isn't just too much on diabetes, but it's may bandwagon!

Good luck to all who wish to join in here.

s

• Related Discussions

Weekly Weigh-in, Week of 5/3/09

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi Guys I couldnt sleep last night because its going to be weigh in day today. When I got up this morning, I checked my weight atleast 10 times to make sure what I am seeing is not a fluke number. My current weight is 142.2 . My last week's weight on Tuesday was 146 ( I knew it was all water retention) I am in training session today and tomorrow all day. Hopefully I should manage to keep my food intake to 1200-1300 calories. Eklektos I hope everything goes well with your daughter's Dr appointment. Just pray. You will feel better and stronger with every prayer. Also, remember we both will hit 139s very soon :-))I was thinking to treat myself with ethnic food. But now I changed my mind. I would probably make a trip to Spa and walk some extra miles on the day I reach 139. All you guys are doing good.
    ...See More

SS Support, Mon. Oct 10th thru Sun. Oct. 16th

Q

Comments (26)
    Good Sunday morning from SUNNY NH!! The rain has finally stopped for the time being. The water from the brook that borders our property is uncomfortably high. The danger of major flooding is still here as some major dams have yet to reach the highest point yet. We now have majorly high winds, about 50mph gusts so we can expect lots of power outages and downed trees. I did however witness a magnificent double rainbow yesterday afternoon as the sky was clearing! It was spectacular and I hope to get a nice picture of it. There was also a beautiful near full moon that I haven't thought about in over a week! Proof that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Patti, that's sage advice. DH and I always come to the conclusion that we are stronger together than apart and that we can get through anything together. We had friends come up from Westport, CT yesterday and it took them from 10am to 4pm because of all the detours. I91 was closed down in both directions! They probably wished they stayed home but we all had a lovely dinner together! Gretchen, I am thinking of you and your sister and hope all went well with her sugery. Check in when you can. Hope you enjoy your day.
    ...See More

Weekly Support 27 Oct - 2 Nov

Q

Comments (5)
    Good morning my friends, It's been a slow week for posting from me but I'm still here staying the course. How are you doing this Friday? Today I want to talk about our relationship with our scales. My scales are literally an antique - I grew up with them. So they bounce around a bit give or take half a pound. This morning definitely 145 lbs. You know how weight loss writers always say don't become glued to your scales because many things can affect where we are at day to day. I disagree with that one. If you are aware that our bodies bounce around daily for many, many reasons and know that it's the measure of a weekly weight than I don't see the harm of daily peeking. For me it helps motivate me to stick with it. If I see it nudging down I feel encouraged to go for it. If I see it nudging up I think more about what I can do to eat healthy and get moving more. Either way I don't feel like starving myself because that is unhealthy. I see the scale as my other weight loss buddy and tool. Sure some people get really discouraged with the device. It's how we perceive and react to it that can make it a positive experience no matter what. I feel it's more like - hey, come on and get back on track - I'll still be here to let you know how you are doing. My scale doesn't judge me. It just reports honest facts. Why don't people who write weight loss advice focus on the positive perception of using a scale to help people over come having negative reactions to using it? Yes some people should not weight daily if they mentally can't handle it. For me my scale is my friend helping me stick with it. It lets me know if my body is changing. The second tool I have is my clothing. Up or down there is no denying when our clothes fit comfortably or not. You can't fool a pair of jeans or cotton shirt. The third tool in my arsenal for vision is a large mirror. I have more mental issues with the mirror than any scale because there is no hiding the truth. These days it is not so much the weight but my aging face that I use for a visual check. Do I look drawn out and tired? How is my skin tone - pale, pink, grey, rosy? Is my skin dry? I am not a fan of mirrors. I have more issues dealing with my perception of how my face looks than dealing with a scale. How do you react or feel about your scale? No matter where you are at today, it's a single day for you to live, take control and think ahead about the weekend. Are you taking control of your goal today? Do you have any challenges this weekend? I am going for a walk shortly. It's getting cooler here. 3C this morning with possible rain this afternoon and yes - light snow mixed with rain tomorrow. Yikes! Great day for a brisk walk. I hope you are taking steps today to work on your goals, dreams. Even one small change can make a difference in the long run. Let's treat ourselves well today! Cheers, Peggy
    ...See More

SS Support, Mon. Oct. 26th thru Sun. Nov. 1st

Q

Comments (35)
    Gooooooooooooood Halloween day to all! I've been up since early and on the go. Our community center had their first ever "Boo Bash" fun-/fundraiser today, and it was a howling success! As the ways & means chairman, I was delighted with the turnout of people and kids dressed up in costumes and spending lots of time and money enjoying themselves! :0 I did a lot of fun Christmas shopping there for those little fun items that are 'extras' that nobody asks for or expects, but that always find a home happily. I also bought a couple of hand-painted items to continue decorating our house. I had a small serving of Frito pie and a diet Dr.Pepper when I finished my shift of tattooing kiddos. Donna, how nice to see you posting, but how frustrating for you with the delay. Maddie, enjoy the musical! Hope Dee's having fun on her vacation. Suzanne, hope you're enjoying your last sunny evening until next spring. Jan, I'd love a bowl of gumbo about now, TYVM! Raeanne, come back and post more - you're missed! Maddie, should we give it a little bit longer to see if anyone else would like to participate in the ornament exchange. It's so much easier to do an ornie than a whole gift box, so maybe we can get a bigger group together. I already have mine, so I can sound all organized and 'together' here! LOL I have a turkey roasting in the oven for our dinner. I decided to change up tradition from chili this year. I also needed to bake this one so that I can start taking advantage of the wonderful turkey sales starting up next week. We love turkey all year 'round. When I was growing up, the ONLY time my mom cooked a turkey was at Thanksgiving, so it still seems a little strange to me to cook one 'just because'. Wishing everyone a Happy Halloween and healthy snacking this evening!
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Socks,

Great advice. I too am borderline diabetic. Since I've been a teenager my blood sugars have always hovered at 6-8. There was a time when I was on diabeta pills in the late 80s. I don't need any medication these days because I have alleviated a lot of stress in my life. Even at my higher weight my blood sugars are now in the upper 6s.

Socks please share any advice you have on diet and diabetes because many, many people have it and come to dieting to help get things under control It doesn't even have to be a weight loss journey - but a change in habits like you have done to help achieve better health.

I am so glad you have joined me in sharing. For any lurkers - please keep coming back to read our posts. If you don't want to yak on the board all of you are welcome to read the posts. Anything to help you too we are happy to share.

Whooooo Hoooooo! Let's do this!
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• pattico_gw
    9 years ago

You might see me in here off and on....

I've recently started trying to eat better.

I am diabetic also...and over weight.

(the whole world seems to be diabetic anymore...they say it is because we have better diagnosis...but my guess on that subject is....we are getting it because of the junk they pump into our beef ,chicken? and pork )

In April my number was 6 this last one was 7.5 yes it was higher but I know why.....junk food (sweets)
    Sometimes when things are going good we think we can get away with more.

My daughter and two of her grand kid moved in with us for awhile and I have had more junk food around here. When it is here ....I eat it.

Anyway....I have a new doctor...forced into getting a new one because Blue Cross-Blue Shield no longer works with Alegent Health. This new doctor now has me on two diabetic meds. I'm not very happy about this and I intend to try fighting it by not eating the sweets and exercise however I can.

so.....I wish the best to all of you who are trying to better your life

WE CAN DO IT.....

patti

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Great posts.
    I started dieting back a while ago, fell off the wagon when the contractors were here and I didn't exercise, am back now trying to sensibly lose weight and exercise.
    What a wonderful idea to have this forum!

• socks
    9 years ago

Thanks, Peggy, for encouraging me. I truly don't mean to turn this into the diabetic thread, but my diagnosis has changed my life. Are you following any particular "diet," or just eating healthier?

Patti, I hope your new doctor inspires you to eat well. As for exercise, I just try to walk a mile a day and do my regular household chores. Sit as little as possible (like I'm doing now! lol). It's difficult when other family members have unhealthy foods around.

I would encourage everyone to get the a1c test done when getting any regular blood work done.

My strongest recommendation is to educate one's self about diabetes. What works for one will not work for others. Take a class at your local hospital. or get a counselor.

Read labels. Carb counts can be shocking.

Test blood sugar. It's the only way to find out what works for you and what does not. I feared this and cried the first time, but really it's so easy and not painful.

It's said that there are hundreds of thousands of people with high blood sugar, but they are not aware of it.

What really irks me is the amount of space dedicated to candy candy candy at checkout stands. It's ridiculous.

• matti5
    9 years ago

Peggy, thank you for doing this! I would love join in on the weekly support!

Like many, I have tried almost every weight loss plan over the years and was most successful in 1998 with WW where I lost 33 lbs. As the weight crept back on I would rejoin, lose a couple of pounds, but could not get in tune with the program again. I've been back 8 times with the same result. I have been contemplating going back again, but haven't walked through that door yet.

I am an emotional eater! Whether happy, sad it's how I deal with everything. The past 3 years have been the most stressful of my life. Without getting into specifics, I am caregiver on a daily basis to a few family members. It leaves me mentally and physically drained, which in turn leaves no time for me.

As far as excerise, I love to power walk, but have no energy for it. I have seen my doctor and had bloodwork done and all checks out fine except for very high cholesterol which is hereditary. I am not currently on meds because I keep promising to "work on it". Not something to play around with I know.

Thanks again and looking forward to a new journey!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright Sisters! And fellas - don't be shy - we are here to help you too.

Welcome Patti and Matti5.

Patti the meds will help you. Stay the course. If you notice as your healthy habits start kicking in that you are starting to get more low sugar drops that will be a possible sign you may not need them anymore. That is what happened with me.

Matti5 - I have been in your shoes living and caring for my Mom until her death. I know the exhaustion both physically as well as mentally which is why I am so glad you are with us. Don't worry about weight issues but rather on balanced meals when you can to help keep your nutrition goals so you don't fall over. Once you can try to get the balanced meals/snacks whatever works as part of a daily routine then I would suggest trying to focus on the weight loss.

One step at a time to get yourself prepared to do this is all I suggest to those starting out. Little steps like your next shopping trip put some healthy options in your kitchen and pantry.
    Try to give yourself some time during the week to prepare healthy snacks ahead of time to grab and go.

Sparkpeople has Weight Watchers groups and the best part is it is FREE.
    I'll be posting a lot of links and interesting bits that I hope provides encouragement.

If you have a bad day or bad week - just dust yourself off, come and talk to us. Don't beat yourself up for any reason because after all we are only human. We are not perfect. We'll work together through your tough times. I never use the phrase failure because I don't believe in that term. We all have off moments for many reasons. And we are allowed to have them. To keep yourself going just keep talking to us. Everyone has been there - just don't give up - no matter what. Don't fret the past but live in the moment. Focus on what you can do. Let's help each other and learn

EMPOWERMENT

You can empower yourself to achieve your goals in a time frame that is right for you. How? Educate yourself. Read positive stuff, get library books on areas of interest, e-books, DVDs - there is a world of help out here for us. Let's tap into it together.

Welcome everyone! Let's get this forum back on its feet. I want to breath some life back into this place and make some new friends.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I missed your post when yakking again. Glad you have come aboard. I'm taking your hand too along with Patti and Matti5 and reaching out still to anyone wanting to join.

Supporting each other helps. It's a proven fact. Share only what you are comfortable sharing. If you need anything post it - we'll try to help.

Okay - have to get outside for fresh air time!
    Love and hugs to my new friends,
    Peggy

• stacey_mb
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mcpeg, for starting this thread and to all who have checked in to say hi or with helpful ideas.

I need to lose weight, otherwise I will need to start taking medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol. For me, a big downfall is sugar, which I feel that I'm addicted to. DH still treats himself, which he is entitled to do, but dangerous to have these things in the house. A dietitian has me on a low carb diet, but I found with low carbs, little protein and only 3 eggs a week, I was starting to feel weak and light-headed. So it's back to the drawing board with her for maybe more advice. I also plan to begin walking more regularly than I have been. I love to read, which may be great for the brain, but bad for the physique! LOL! I may just fall back on eating sensibly and mindfully, keeping in mind fat and carbs. It would be so liberating to eat when hungry, stop when full (within limits of course).

• matti5
    9 years ago

I have a similar issue with my DH. I feel bad to deprive him of his snacks and sweets, so therefore I buy or make things for him. My weight is my issue, not his, so why change the way he eats. He has always been very supportive in my weight loss journey, which is a blessing. As spouses and mom's we tend to put ourselves last, so it's hard to change that behavior.

I'd like to share my tip for exercising. While watching tv at night I march in place for 30 minutes. During a commercial I will lift my 5 lb weights while still marching. As I said in my previous post, I love to power walk, but don't have the time/energy when I get home. This is easy and effective!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I missed your post when yakking again. Glad you have come aboard. I'm taking your hand too along with Patti and Matti5 and reaching out still to anyone wanting to join.

Supporting each other helps. It's a proven fact. Share only what you are comfortable sharing. If you need anything post it - we'll try to help.

Okay - have to get outside for fresh air time!
    Love and hugs to my new friends,
    Peggy

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Stacey,

Contact your dietician. No diet should make you feel that way at all. It may look right on their "diet instructions" but each diet needs to be customized to work with you. I know. I was extremely fortunate years ago to have a dietician for two years. She told me to call her if and when I needed help and leave a message.

I too found at certain times in the day my snacks were not working. I kept a food diary as well and made notes during the day if I had similar episodes like you. I learned more about combing foods to get the most out of them so they would not peak with quick hits and then dive afterwards.

Please contact your dietician and ask for her to call you back when she can. Tell her what is happening. If you drive having an episode of light head can be dangerous. If you are not keeping a little diary of what you are eating during the day you may want to consider this. It will help both of you find out what is right for Stacey.

Again, for anyone thinking of losing weight, it is always recommended to talk to your doctor or even a community health nurse.

Welcome Stacey, so glad you could join us!
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• stacey_mb
    9 years ago

Thank you for your welcome and words of encouragement, Peggy! Thank you also to other posters for contributing to this forum. I had a discussion with my dietitian today and she had some advice for me. I am going to take a big step tomorrow and start walking first thing in the morning, which for me these days is 7 a.m. I walked regularly early in the a.m. a few years ago, watched my food intake, and the pounds came off readily. I have walked since, but not in this dedicated way. For me, listening to audiobooks while I walk makes this time more enjoyable.

Wish me luck (and perseverance)!

• matti5
    9 years ago

Kudos to you Stacey! Happy walking!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning everyone! Don't be surprised if you notice I post at all hours - I'm the insomnia queen. I roll with it. Sometimes I need a little help to sleep but most of the time it works itself out.

Stacey - You Go Girl! Whoo Hooo! Rock On! Walk On! Just do it!

I stumbled across the news story about Larry Evans. I'm not going to give anything away except to say he is a definite inspiration.

Where we start doesn't matter here. How much we achieve on the scales doesn't matter here. All that matters is the fact we don't give up on ourselves. I am looking forward to having some fun with everyone and sharing ideas. This is a great week so far saying hello to everyone. Next week I'm going to start with an idea for the week - sort of like a weekly goal to kick things off. Nothing major, all baby steps we can take together. Simple changes make a huge difference in the long run.

I do want to say now that it is Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada next week. From past experiences on the Diet Forum it is not unusual for a slow period of posting during the holiday periods. Since many are US based, I don't think there will any impact. Having said that I noted the US Thanksgiving is Nov 27th. I like to plan well ahead with taking a little more care before and after holidays following my health goals. I don't max out my meals a few days ahead and I cut back for a day or two following a major family meal event. For my US friends, starting now in this group will give you some time to start building some strategies for coping with your upcoming holiday. We will talk about these ideas going forward over the next month so hopefully you can build a "toolbox" to enjoy the holiday without despair.

I'm off to surf the news, drink my coffee. Just to let ya know right now I am at a stall point in my journey on the scales but that is not deterring me. Been there, done that and ate the t-shirt for more fiber! Something else I'll talk about down the road about how to shake things up when this happens.

If you get a chance, check out Larry.
    Cheers and Good Morning!
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Larry Evans

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

Hi everyone and thanks for the invite!

One month ago today I started a 10 day metabolic cleanse. NEVER thought I'd be able to do it....but with sheer determination and willpower, I did. Lost 7 lbs but that wasn't the main goal. Less inflammation and swelling and toxin elimination was the goal and I feel great.

Since then I have kept up eating mostly vegetables and fish. Have had 1 piece of bread in a month. And exactly 1 piece of candy. I feel so good I don't miss that junk. I've lost 10 lbs and hope to lose another 20.

I hope to someday not have to be quite so concerned about what I eat, just eat a "normal" meal but not over indulge. I had let myself get so fat and sluggish....hated that feeling.

Hope to meet & greet many new friends on the same journey! :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I so get where you are coming from. I have a mild intolerance to wheat products. Although I have not completely eliminated them from my diet I am slowly working them out of my diet. Generally I am working to change my carb choices, cut back on the amount and increase my veggies, fruit and protein. My main dinner shift has been half a plate of veggies, a small carb portion, protein and then if I'm hungry later in the evening I will have fresh fruit.

Great to see you joining us. I truly believe we all have an inner strength to draw from once we can find our focus. You are doing great. I'd love to hear how you found your detox and more about it.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

Hi Peggy,
    I work for a chiropractor who happens to be very knowledgeable about nutrition. We work with a company called Meta-genics. They have a cleanse called the Clear Change Program. (I'm not positive on how to link it) I never thought I'd be able to do it. But, I have and I'm actually doing it again, but not quite so strict this time.

It makes me feel soooo much better, eating to fuel my body instead of eating whatever makes my brain happy! I've been down this road before, so I'm just hoping that this time, it sticks!!

I used to have bread or muffins or rolls with every dinner; learned that from my mother's home cooking back in the day! My hubby was used to lots of bread too because his mother raised 6 boys and it was a cheap filler. No more! Protein and veggies and sometimes some brown rice or a sweet potato. I just pray that the good/alive feeling continues to outweigh the temptation of 'crap' food! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Change Program

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Juille1962 - thanks for the link. I don't knock any program so long as people take the time to do a little research and of course talk to their doctor before starting one to make sure it is okay, especially if there are any existing medical issues.

About Health online has a good starting reference point for those considering it. I am glad that the program at your office has helped you. It has set you on a positive course of healthy change.

Yes, I too grew up with the dinner roll option. My in-laws still practice it. I decline the extra roll. And I too am finding less carbs are making a significant difference in my journey as well as general overall feeling of energy. Carbs make me feel tired all the time. I love rice but don't overdue that - for diabetics especially Basmatti rice has the highest rating for burning slowing to help avoid quick peaks.

Has anyone else used any detox product or diets? I'm interested in your opinion of them.

Cheers,
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 Day Detox Diet from About.com

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Peggy,

First, thanks for the invite and reading my previous post.

I posted a few days ago about my frustration with losing weight and then deleted it as I thought no one had read it. Here is my story.

Whenever I read about weight lose tactics it stresses to cut out the junk-candy, cookies, etc. You all know the drill. But, I don't eat sweets. I have no sweet tooth. I am the only person I know who doesn't like chocolate! I don't eat junk food, fast food, fried foods. My favorite food is vegetables and fruit. Breakfast is usually cereal-not the sugary kind, yogurt and fruit for lunch and veges and meat for dinner. I don't snack in front of the tv or ever, really. If I eat junk, I don' feel well so I avoid it. So, what gives? I am so at a loss as to figure out what is up.

I am quite short, so I can't cut my calorie intake by much as I will be in starvation mode. I am an outdoor girl-walking, gardening, etc and recently spent ten days hoofing around Paris. I didn't lose a pound.

I gained about thirty pounds about ten years ago. I was caring for my elderly father, mother and handicapped sister. They all died within a short time-frame and I had to handle their affairs. Stress weight? Maybe, but why can't I shake it now?

Sorry for the rant. I'm just very frustrated.

Linda

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Welcome Linda - I am so glad to see you here. And rant all you want because we all need to get our frustrations out - it's not all sunshine during weight challenges. Your concerns are genuine and I bet you are not alone.

Since you appear to be eating very healthy the first thing I would ask myself is:

1. when was the last time I had a proper physical check up, complete with a full blood screening?

2. how are you mentally feeling, honestly? Stress is a nasty creature that affects us in so many hidden ways it is almost unbelievable when you can finally let go of it and realize how much better you can feel. I too was a care giver and had to let go of some toxic people to remove major life stressors - since letting go my diabetic blood sugars have fallen down to normal. So how are you feeling, honestly? Another point worth discussing at a physical.

3. are you aware of any possible food or environmental allergies or irritations to your body? Allergies can make you retain water, weight, throw your system out of whack

4. here's one of my favorites for woman - beginning hormonal changes. Yup I'm smack in the early stages myself and I've hit a stall wall. Still sticking with my healthy eating habits which I am enjoying but that weight wall is frustrating as heck (fill in your appropriate word here...). Are you changing now?

5. Thyroid - another nasty little creature that can sneak up on you and wreak havoc before you discover it's outta whack

I'd back track and see your doctor, ask for extra time when you book the appointment for a physical. Before you go, get a notepad and start listing what you mentioned above and any / all things that concern you. Everything that may be a clue.

You may have gone this route all ready or part way. We all have a unique body that is unlike the person next to us. What fits me doesn't fit you. I am 5'2". Not very active and working to change that. I did an online quiz on one site and it told me if I didn't basically get off my ass...pardon the expression...I'd literally have to starve myself to see more than a pound a week. Even at that I know it is my weak area. I also have food allergies that I've tolerated for years. With my hormones having loads of laughs these days I am now considering removing wheat and it's products out of my diet and other items on the list. My food testing happened almost 30 years ago. It's probably time for me to see what has changed in that area - checking in with my healthcare team - to find out what I am sensitive to now before I make any drastic changes.

The more we know about our health then the more choices we have to empower us to take steps forward. What your doing now for your meals is my goal to do without thinking about. You may just need to try this from the beginning with a good talk to your doctor and complete physical to rule out any medical conditions that you may not be aware of.

Don't know if any of this helps or not - please feel free to rant away. I saw your post for a moment and wanted to find it again to respond. I was listening - big time.

Here's some gentle hugs ((((((((((((Linda)))))))))))) with a load of understanding. Keep talking to us.

Ladies, have I missed anything that might help Linda?

Cheers,
    Peggy

• matti5
    9 years ago

Welcome to the group Linda!

Good ideas Peggy! My first thoughts too were changing or adding to your exercise routine. I power walk, but found I too was not seeing results, so I started lifting 3 - 5lb weights 4x per week. I noticed a difference within the month.

Also, peri-menopause and menopause can wreak havoc on your metabolism. Everything goes haywire!! I never had a tummy until I hit menopause. I would gain in my hips and rear, now it all goes to the tummy first. I did not want to take HRT, I just let mother nature take me on a roller coaster ride. I envy those that never have an issue.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Peggy,

I had a complete physical in January. Everything, including my thyroid, came back just fine. I had a major illness last year, so I have been monitored pretty closely by my doctors since then.

I have been through menopause hell and have been on and off HRT. No difference in weight.

My daughter and I were discussing gluten sensitivity last night. The symptoms sound like me-weight gain, sleep problems, etc., but I wonder if this is just the latest fad. I would have no problem going gluten-free or anything-free as I don't have food cravings.

Feelings, mentally? Just frustrated and unhappy about this battle. I would be happy to do whatever I need to do, I just don't know what that is.

Thanks for listening.

Linda

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Linda,

Maybe it could be gluten. There are many other foods to choose from these days that are gluten free. And a great place to get some ideas are books from your library and internet. I am working slowly to change my habits right now to just healthy eating. My next goal once my eating habits are established is to wean myself off gluten completely. I do get inflammation in my hands, tired, insomnia, bloating sometimes and hives periodically.

I'm reading through the link below for myself - if you search using "gluten sensitivity" there are many sites that pop up. I don't believe this is a fad for some people - my allergy testing proved it. My dear friend had arthritic symptoms starting along with other issues. She removed gluten in her diet and her hands improved dramatically - no pain, no swelling. Now whenever she has anything with gluten in it the first response she gets is arthritic symptoms in her hands and generally feels achy.

You may be onto something looking into this issue. I don't know if it is right for you to think about allergy testing but just taking gluten products out of your diet for a few months you may discover it could be an issue for you.

There are many gluten free websites for recipes, support, lifestyle changes. It's certainly worth a try if you have exhausted all other avenues. If you do try to explore this route I would love to hear how you progress. I'm sure there are other people lurking here that may have a similar issue being stuck on the scales. Keep talking to us. I'm very interested for one and offer any support I can to help you on your journey to health.

Have a fabulous day to day Linda,
    Cheers,
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Nonceliac Gluten Sensitivity

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Enjoyed a lovely dinner last night and cards with our dear friends. I ate Shepherd's pie (crustless type), biscuits and ice cream. Yes I went over my daily limit but I am not worried. I do the WW program and actually just used up my weekly freebie points or calories. Today and tomorrow I am in recovery mode to compensate.

So what does my day look like? Cottage cheese 1%, home made barley soup loaded with veggies for lunch, apple for snack and dinner will be a full plate of steamed zucchini, squash, onion and a cooked egg. I will literally load that plate and put a spoon of margarine, salt & pepper. Of course water, water, water today.

Why am I telling you this? Because you can deal with a meal event. I faithfully logged how much I had last night and noted the points/calorie values. I know where I stand. I am not deterred at all. I continue. Did I have a large serving? Yes, honestly and honestly two biscuits. Today I am quite happily puttering away at little jobs around the house and enjoying my healthy food choices.

So don't despair when you have these moments. You dust yourself off and carry on. If you know a meal event is coming - plan a head. Reduce your calories a day or two ahead and then a day or two afterwards. Don't beat yourself up. Don't regret, feel bad - just do your best and keeping putting one foot in front of the other. You can do this. You can persevere through these moments in life. That is part of living a healthy lifestyle.

Just be honest with yourself. Over the coming weeks I want to talk about planning ahead and then staying the course. There is a major meal event/weekend coming up in November for those of you in the US and I'd like to open the communication lines on how to deal successfully with it so you can enjoy your friends and family. Focus on the joy of the fall season. We'll get through that time together I promise and you will continue with your goals.

That's what I wanted to say today to everyone, even those silent friends we have out there reading but not posting. I'm reaching out to invite you to come back and read our posts, share our journey. You don't have to share on here to be a part of our journey together. Just come back. If we can help you stay true to your dream then that is all I'm trying to achieve.

Lets have a wonderful day today and tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

I just ate 6 mini peanut butter cups and I don't feel bad about it at all. lol
    I'm home all alone today (yippee) and felt like indulging. It won't make me gain a pound and it won't kill me either. Life is good!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Juellie,

I agree with you. They are 33 cals or 1 WW pt (old system) each. Not the end of the world at all. You are on track and can handle this because you have the right frame of mind.

Getting some peace and quiet to yourself to indulge like that is mentally healthy too. We all need to have quality time.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
    Peggy

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

Oh, thanks for the calorie count! I hadn't even looked, didn't care. :) But is good to know so that the next time I will think twice.

I had a quesadilla tonight....with black beans, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and very little cheese. Actually used a corn tortilla instead of flour. I THOUGHT I didn't like corn, but it was very good. Never know until you try I guess!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

It is 4C north of Kingston Ontario Canada - a wee tad chilly. Have a lovely fire going in the wood stove. It's quite warm in the house. We've had the fire on and off over the last week to keep the dampness out from the rain. I live in the country and love it.

If anyone is considering gluten free I found a really cool blog by Heidi loaded with ideas, recipes and more base upon her journey going gluten free. Click on the link below if you are interested. There are great recipe ideas even if you don't follow a gluten free diet.

Had a great day in the house yesterday getting some chores done. It feels great getting my energy back after two years with a growth on my thyroid. Had that sucker removed. I don't mind housework at all - keeps me moving. Got out to check in on my neighbours animals while they are away - I love cats, dogs - just about all animals unless they are mean. We have a rescue cat who is now 10 years old. Hubby is a dog man - or so he thought - hahahahahaha. Of course I got a male cat that adopted Dave right off the bat. They are true buddies now. He follows Dave every morning, meowing his little furry face off, and then when the coffee is done he goes and sits by the patio door or window to watch outside. Too funny. I got new curtains. The ones in the hallway are a good 5 inches too long onto the floor. I was going to hem them like the rest in the main room but Andy has taken to hiding behind them. I tent them out and roll the balls. Little black and white paws shoot out and swat the balls back or his little black and white nose pops out when he's peeking. I can't hem them now - it's part of our go hide game. Hilarious. Anyone coming through the front door can tell we have a cat - the hallway is littered with foam, rubber and tinfoil balls all over the place. Too much fun on any given day.

Today I have some housework to do and if the rain lets up, a few fall chores outside. An afternoon walk over to my friends for tea, check on our other friends cat and then walk home. The fall colours are beautiful.

What's on your plate today?
    Cheers,
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Gluten Free 101

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also wanted to link to this blog as well - another great reference site.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to go Gluten Free

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

Thanks for the links Peggy!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are most welcome Juellie. Join me on this week's thread.
    Cheers,
    Peggy

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone