SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khloris

Please explain camcorders that record to a DVD

khloris
19 years ago

I'm thinking about surprising my husband with one of those new digital camcorders that record to a small DVD instead of to a mini-VHS tape. I looked at some today at BestBuy and am confused about some of the features (cameras ranged from $400 to $900). My questions:

1. All cameras were marked "mini DVDs will play in most DVD players". The word "most" makes me nervous! We have two TVs; one has a Panasonic DoubleFeature combination VCR/DVD player, and the other is a Bose Lifestyle 35 DVD player. I'd like to make sure that the mini DVD would play on both of those plus our Dell WindowsXP computer. Aren't the mini DVDs the same format as the regular size ones?

2. Please explain what the value (number) attached to "CCD" or "CCDI" means? And how it affects the way the camcorder works?

3. Our present mini-VHS camcorder has an "anti shake" feature. Do the mini-DVD camcorders have this as well, or is that something not compatible with the DVD type?

4. When a miniDVD is played in a standard DVD player, or computer DVD drive, does it need some sort of adapter to allow it to fit? The minis seem so much smaller!

5. Is the sound synchronization better on a mini-DVD recorded item (say if you're recording your grandkids singing in a play) than on a mini-tape? We transferred some of our mini-tape recordings via movie software, to DVDs, and the audio then became enough out of sync with the video to be noticeable. Would use of a mini-DVD camcorder eliminate this because everything stays digital (no change of format from analog to digital)?

and finally

6. What is the usual maximum recording time for a mini-DVD on normal speed? 15 minutes? 30? more?

Before I spend $500+ on a mini-DVD camcorder I'd like to be comfortable in the knowledge that it will be better than the mini-tape Panasonic that we now have (3 yrs old). Or because they are so new, should we wait another year or two until the bugs are worked out and the prices come down?

Comments (6)