SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Tales & Helpful Hints From A One-Handed Cook (LOL)!

lynninnewmexico
8 years ago

OMG, I just finished making a pot of French green lentil soup with low fat Italian chicken sausage, baby kale, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and red wine . . . all with my right hand still in a cast and unusable . . . and I'm right handed! Tish suggested soup over on my "Let's Talk Healthful Eating" thread and she got me inspired. So, being a chilly (still kind of) Winter day, I couldn't wait any longer to make my soup.

I am so proud of myself. Although, in retrospect, I should have planned it a bit more (LOL). Sautéing the sausages wasn't that hard, but slicing them took imagination! This soup making effort could have made it onto some comedy channel!

If you need to slice cooked sausages, hold them down using a long, (preferably plastic) kitchen fork held between your teeth. Use a very sharp serrated knife to slice with your good hand. Go very slowly and try not to slice your hair also while doing it (don't ask).

To chop celery, garlic, and carrots (trust me, baby carrots are your friends when you're down to only one hand), use a heavy, wood chopping board. Lay 1-3 pieces on the board. Stand back. Take your largest, heaviest chopping knife and start whacking like a French chef who's been sipping too much wine: hard and enthusiastically! The pieces will pop apart wonderfully. It's exhilarating to try! Gather up all the wild pieces that flew around your countertop and onto your floor. Wash them off in sink. Drop into soup . Don't worry about germs as the hot broth will eventually kill them. I strongly advise you not tell your family how you did this, though. When they ask why the veggies ~ and sausage pieces~ are all different sizes, just tell them that this is the NEW nouveau French way to do it . . . to show that it's homemade; kind of like the difference between a pie and a croustade. Tell them you learned it on Rachel Ray.

OK, bad news. You forgot that the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of "sturdy red wine" and your bottles all have corks. Take a very sharp little knife and carefully slide it under the foil or paper covering the wine cork to cut it a bit . . . all while holding the bottle firmly in your right arm pit. Next, take the corkscrew in your left hand and slowly push it into the cork a bit. Turn handle at top slowly, as you screw it in. You're going to have to keep rotating the bottle because, as the screw moves down into the cork, the 2 arms are moving up, poking you in your you-know-what. Not fun, not fast, but it works! After this ordeal, pour 1/2 cup of the wine into the soup pot. Pour one glass of wine for the cook!

After that, it's a piece of cake!
More tales and lessons to come perhaps.
Lynn, Your happy (now) One-handed Cooking Teacher

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 23:02

Comments (21)