SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Anyone Ever Break Mercury Thermometer?

ttodd
14 years ago

I'm trying to remain level headed here.

We thought that we'd gotten rid of all mercury thermometers in our household years ago after DS1 was born.

Well we must not have and in my clearing out of everything not used/ needed must have inadvertently turned one up. The youngest found one and tapped the end of it on the kitchen gate and the metal tip broke off. She dropped it and ran - she didn't touch mercury or anything.

I went on-line for clean-up instructions and am reasonably sure that I got it all but wonder if I really did. It seemed like such a small amount.

I didn't vacuum per instructions.

Turned off central heat to stop air circulation and opened windows and doors.

Pets and kids are removed from the area.

I taped over any bead that I couldn't suction up or get up on a piece of paper to put in a container.

I went over the area (old hardwood floors w/ cracks) w/ a paint brush and shaving cream to lift up the tiniest bits I could find w/ a flashlight w/ the lights off.

Of course this happened just before having to pick DS2 up so I got everything that I could and then put tape over the whole area to stop any beads I'd missed until I could get in there w/ the flashlight and shaving cream. My kids walked over the taped area before I got to it w/ the flash light and shaving cream and I'd found a few more beads the size of a pin head so now of course I'm worried all over again!

I've been working on the area (very small area) for at least an hour on my hands and knees. Of course it's the doorway into the kitchen and a major thoroughfare.

I left a message for the pediatrician to see what she has to say.

Has this happened to any of you? Am I giving myself a headache for no reason?

Comments (6)