SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Do it yourself hot dogs..

annie1992
16 years ago

OK, so I'm "into" making stuff from scratch, LOL.

Elery wanted a sausage stuffer for his birthday so what could I possibly do except oblige? Of course, that means we had to stuff something (Jessica, shush). We ordered the obligatory casings and decided to make Vienna Weiners. Here is a nice picture of the stuffer, and that's Elery's hand trying to untangle casings. He said it was like "trying to referee a worm wrestle". LOL

We used equal amounts of turkey, beef and pork, ground it three times and tossed it in the KitchenAid mixing bowl with onion, garlic, mace, paprika, dry mustard, thyme, salt, pepper. Beat it for 3 or 4 minutes until it's "emulsified". Then we stuffed it, linked it and poached it before freezing. I froze it in a single layer on sheets, then packaged 8 links per package because that's how packages of hot dog buns come. After I did that I realized that I'd be making my own hot dog buns and so it was not an issue, LOL, but it was too late, already packaged.

{{gwi:873830}}

{{gwi:873832}}

Tomorrow I think I'm making meat balls. Sausage stuffing just isn't fun alone. (OK, Jessica, you can start now)

Annie

Comments (39)