SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddlepoo

traditional energy use?????

17 years ago

A couple of years ago as I sat next to my wood burning stove during a power outage I started wondering why all of the functions of heating, cooking and lighting a house had become so separate. I cooked on my woodstove and read by the light during the evenings of a three day outage. And it really got me to wondering why all of these functions now needed to ge so separate. My range does nothing but cook food and that seems like such a waste. Why can't shower water, or my house, be heated at the same time? Why does all of the water leaving my house not drive something that creates power (like an old mill)? I've seen on tv how 'green' house building is expensive right now, but what about just plain old fashiond smart architecture and materials? I mean windows and doors placed to take best advantage of breezes in summer, etc. Also, I have a full 1700 sf basement that is heated and cooled so amazingly fast and efficiently just by virtue of being a hole in the ground with tons of earth for insulation. I really want to find info on good, old-fashioned, common sense building design. Are there threads out there relating to this? I'm all for wind and solar power, but there's got to be more info out there. We will sell our empty-nest house within a couple of years and I really would like to build a small, efficient house. Am I alone in wondering about tradition, maybe even ancient, ways of building that must be better than what we have now?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio