SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schnaps_gw

Megatron (Philips tube) CTV-1371(E) Vertical Size Problem

schnaps
18 years ago

I have a Megatron (Philips tube) CTV-1371(E) with a vertical size problem. There are no vertical size, position, linearity, controls on the set. Picture on startup is very narrow and as it warms up increases somewhat -- less and less every startup. Picture is otherwise clear but looks like watching a shadowbox. With the linearity, people have short legs etc.

Comments (2)

• pee_wee
    18 years ago

This is caused by defective electrolytic filter capacitor/s in the vertical circuit.

As the filter capacitors age, they develope high internal resistance. The resistance is high when the capacitor is cold and goes low as the capacitor heats up.

The capacitors in the vertical circuit will have the same prefix as the vertical IC. Such as IC451, capacitors will be C4** and will be located close to the vertical IC. The capacitor that is going bad is usually 100ufd or 220ufd at 35v. The capacitors are polarized and have (+),(-)sides, the replacements MUST be installed exactly the same as the old one. CAUTION: care must be used when removing the old capacitor. DO NOT damage the copper circuit trace and observe polarity.

I do not have a diagram of this set, or I would give you the ID# of the part, sorry.

Good luck,

pw

• schnaps
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pee Wee,
    I found a polarized 100uf near the IC but @50V -- not 35V. Could this be the culprit? I did find in the circuit as you described some 220's but at 16V and 6.3V.