SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

how to master the waffle iron?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

When I moved out on my own a friend gave me an old waffle iron that she was going to throw out. It was missing a leg and always tipped over, so I did throw silly thing away even though I have a soft spot for vintage appliances.

At Target I found what seemed to be a great waffle iron. It had removable plates and also came with a sandwich maker plates. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it make square waffles instead of round ones. In case you didn't know, square waffles have more calories than round ones because the sharp corners stick... round ones just bounce right through the digestive tract. Okay, maybe not, but for some silly reason I prefer round waffles. Well, I bought the T-fal Avante at Target anyway and I've only used it a handful of times even though I've had it over a year. I seem to be waffle iron challenged. I can't seem to fill it to the right level. I usually put too much batter in and the goop runs everywhere. So, I try to overcompensate and put less in... then the top is flat and doesn't get browned. How do you tell how much batter to put in the silly thing? Mine doesn't have a light to tell when the waffle is done like the old ones did. It has two lights, but neither of them perform that function. One tells power, the other when the machine has preheated. I never know how long to leave the waffles in. Anyone who has ever opened a waffle iron too soon knows what a mess it can be. So, if you have any tips to help me get along with my waffle iron better, I'd love to read them! I know it's easier to make pancakes, but there's just something about waffles!

Comments (24)

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Bobby:
    With the round Waffles you get on a roll and don't know when to stop. LOL !!!

I don't know your recipe but you may only have to thicken the Batter.
    Don't pull up on the lid too hard, or you will split the Waffle in half.
    You can feel, when it will release. Unless there is something wrong.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    If you peep in " Toying on buying a Waffle Iron ",
    ( a few Posts down )
    there is a lot of info you can use.

I put in my recipe for Pancakes and Waffles.
    Go down to Waffles and read it.

Also compare Recipes, maybe you will find something.

Let us know how you made out .
    LOU

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

It's been so long since I've actually made them that I can't say what the answers are. Hopefully, someone else can give them.

I will give this recipe. It's from a friend of mine and these are supper light and delicious.

Eddy's Club Soda Waffles

2 cups bisquick
    1 egg
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/3 cups club soda

makes about 4 waffles according to my notes. And they freeze really well.

• Related Discussions

cleaning a waffle iron

Q

Comments (2)
    Mine has no non-stick coating at all....and I don't use spray. Just get the iron good and hot before you pour in the batter and they will pop right out. You might try "burning" the leftover stuff out....heating the iron and seeing if they will pop out....BUT non stick spray will polymerize and make a hard stuff almost like varnish that is almost impossible to remove. Linda C
    ...See More

How to season a waffle iron?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a KA Pro waffle maker. The instructions (probably applies to yours too) state NOT to use non-stick spray because a residue will remain over time. I use recipes with a lot of fat in it to prevent sticking. Check out the cooking forum for recipes. -Gorilla
    ...See More

Waffle iron recommendations

Q

Comments (25)
    Another All-Clad owner here. For years, my waffle iron was a stove top Nordic Ware one. I reluctantly purchased a VillaWare when we had the boys, had grandparents over, etc.The stovetop was just too slow. The VillaWare was still working when DH and the boys gave me an All-Clad for Mother's Day a few years ago. I was prepared to return it but thought I ought to try it and at least be able to say it wasn't that special first. It didn't go back. The All-Clad bakes the most even and perfect waffles I've had. Never had one stick -- never had any problem with it, except making me want the All-Clad slow cooker (talked myself out of it because it's so large and the boys will both be off at college soon). We made waffles Sunday. I commented on how light they were and my son said we make the best waffles he's ever had. Not only that -- he wants some of my sourdough started so he can make them when he leaves home. Good thing that made my heart smile 'cuz it's gonna cost the pocket another All-Clad waffle iron (or two -- one for older brother). ;-)
    ...See More

My Belgian waffle iron just bit the dust!

Q

Comments (8)
    I have two. One is a Villaware, I've had it for 6 or 7 years, works great but it's bulky and hard to store. IT makes waffles shaped like cows, chickens, pigs and barns, I use it when the grandkids come to stay. Momto4kids sent me one that she had, it was too small for her family. It's a Krups, and it's perfect to make waffles for Elery and I. It's small and doesn't take up valuable storage space and works great, I really like it. I don't know how old it is, though. Isn't a Belgian waffle iron different than a regular one? Or is it just the batter for the thicker puffy Belgian waffles that's different? Annie
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

You master the waffle iron the same way you get to Carnegie Hall....
    Practise Practise Practise~
    Really!
    You'll eventually get the hang of it...
    What the waffle iron light and timer tells you is when enough of the moisture in the batter has evaporated away ( see that steam coming out of the waffle iron?) and the waffle is done. In the olden days, waffle irons didn't have red lights and thew ay you knew the waffle was done was to watch the steam coming out of it....when the steam stopped, wait 20 seconds or so and the waffle is done.
    Remember....a thinner batter makes a crisper waffle....thicker batter makes a chewey tougher waffle.
    As for a recipe? there are many...but take any recipe youa re thinking of using and add 2 tablespoons MORE melted butter. Makes a good waffle and it's less likely to stick.
    Linda c

• pkguy
    14 years ago

Bobby, waffle batter is pretty much the same as pancake batter except you add a tablespoon of oil to it. And as noted above when the steaming stops it's done.
    Even if it's non-stick spray the plates with some PAM for Baking spray,, not the regular PAM

Bisquick makes fluffier waffles pancakes but if you don't have any just use regular all purpose flour and add maybe 1/2 teaspoon of salt to two cupss of flour. (and a pinch of baking powder if you happen to have some but not absolutely necessary)

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I didn't even know there was a recent thread about waffle irons. I've gotta check the forum more often... my little internet sanctuary! I saw a youtube video, but the lady didn't say anything I didn't already know.

LindaC... my waffle iron does not have a light to tell when it's done! That's one complaint some users have of it... Watching for the steam is a good idea. I don't like Bisquick for anything but "red lobster" cheddar biscuits.

You're right, Pete... Baking spray (I use Bakers Joy) is an amazing product! Regular Pam leaves a sticky residue all over everything, but Baker's Joy doesn't. I always had sticking issues with butter or oil and flour, but Baker's Joy has eliminated that.

Here's the recipe I use and love... when I try others, I always go back to this one. I got it online years ago, source unknown. It could have been here, but I'm not sure.

Pancake and Waffle batter recipe

2 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1/4 cup oil

Mix everything up and cook "real good" (OK, I paraphrased that part, but you get the idea). :o)

I feel a batch of waffles coming on... I have some eggs I need to use up anyway. The last three times I went to the market, I bought eggs (and whole chicken), because I forgot I had them. Now I have 3 dozen eggs and 3 fryer chickens to use up... I've never had fried chicken and waffles before, is it any good?

Here is a link that might be useful: my waffle iron

• hawk307
    14 years ago

I have to disagree . A thicker batter doesn't make a
    chewy , tougher Waffle.
    Think it may be the recipe's Fault.

I use a thicker Batter and make a CRISPY, TENDER, WAFFLE.
    And so do all the others who have tried it.

Bobby:
    Did you read thru the Post on Buying a Waffle Iron ???
    Lou

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just now, Lou. Found it very interesting. I know this has been talked about before because I remember seeing your waffles and both waffle irons on previous threads. This is a little different though, because it's more about proper technique. Avoiding disaster so to speak. I already have a waffle iron and I'm happy with my recipe.

I'm making some waffles right now... batter running down the counter to the floor and everything! Maybe that's just part of the process and I should just learn to laugh at it. Knowing me I'll clean it sometime next week

I found that 6 minutes in the waffle iron is appropriate... I set the timer now. I don't think mine gets hot enough... it's practically impossible to burn one, but 6 minutes seems like a long time to me!

I'd love to see the Alton Brown episode about waffle irons... that must have been interesting!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Bobby, you just outlined why I shed no tears when I put our Salton waffle iron in the donation bin. (My MIL gave us the one I told my FIL he'd lost his perspective for buying.) The darn Salton held some bizarre amount of batter. I don't remember the exact amount anymore, but it ended up being something like 2.723469 ounces. Whatever it really was, it was NOT a logical nor intuitive amount. I finally found a ladle that was close and marked it with a permanent marker once I figured out the "perfect" amount. You don't want the batter to go all the way to the edges of the template. Also, try pouring it very slightly off center (more toward the hinge than the front).

Linda is right about the steam. I can't see the steam anymore, so I used to feel ridiculous standing there with my hand over the silly thing like I was trying to cast a spell over the waffle iron. LOL!

I've had good luck with a waffle recipe Lars posted a couple years ago. If you decide you want to experiment, let me know and I'll post it. It's on the other computer.

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

I had to laugh when I read about your first misfit waffle iron. Mom had an ancient one for years that made such good waffles. She passed it on to me when she decided to get a new one. It made wonderful waffles for me too. But you had to be standing on a rubber backed rug or you'd get the beegees shocked out of you.

When I got my first new one (all mine have been square for some reason) it had the removable plates that were reversible (waffle one side sandwich on the other). TheyÂre great. A couple of years ago it had to be replaced and I couldnÂt find one with the removable plates.

The one I have now is all plastic (which I hate) except the plates. I had trouble adjusting the batter amount myself. I can see the river flowing at your house now. LOL I got to where I put a jelly roll pan under mine for a while.

Here are a few solutions I found:
    If you have a batter you really like stick with it. Different batters will act differently in the iron.

Get something you can measure with. I eventually found one of my dippers was the perfect size. It will take a few waffles to determine what the right amount is. Less is better to begin with.:-P YouÂll just get a roundish waffle. (grin) Pour the batter in a circle in the middle of the 4 squares. If thatÂs not enough measure a little more out and try the next one. Eventually youÂll have the right amount figured out. But if you change to a different batter you will have to start the process over.

Mine also has a preheat and power light only. As was mentioned watch the steam. But I found that when my iron was preheated IÂd pour the batter on and when it was done the preheat light goes on again. (Old timers disease I think it came on again). So watch youÂre preheat light to see if itÂs also the timer light.

Also when testing as was also mentioned lift lightly and if it doesnÂt release easily itÂs not done if youÂve sprayed the iron well.

Like lindac said. Practice, practice. practice. Linda I donÂt know how old you are but I think our age is telling when weÂre used to watching the steam. ThatÂs how I use to do it when I started cooking. LOL Do kids eyes get real big when you tell them phones had 3 foot cords and you had to pick it up and say hello to find out who was on the other side :-)

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

Waffle Wisdom...

-Be sure to read the instructions that come with your waffle iron. This should tell you about preheating or buttering/oiling the grids, and may also tell you how much batter to use.

-Most waffle irons use approx. 1/2-cup batter, but it varies.

-Some batters will spread and others will need to be spread - all recipes are not the same. A small off-set spatula will help with the spreading task for thick batters.

-If you've overfilled the grids, let the batter bake about 30-seconds WITH THE LID UP to set the batter, then slowly close the lid.

-Even if there is no more steam coming out of the iron, the waffle may or may not be done baking. New waffle irons may bake a waffle in 90-seconds, but 5 minutes (by which time the steam may no longer be visible) is a common baking time for many waffle irons. If the iron lid doesn't open easily when you first tug on it, the waffle isn't finished baking and leave the lid down for another minute or so. A "done" waffle should be golden brown. Time the waffles the first few to give you a general amount of time for baking. It all varies depending on the depth of the grids and amount of batter it requires to fill the grids.

-Place your waffle iron on a sheet of parchment paper, or sheet of foil to catch the drips and make clean-up easier.

-Your waffles will be richer if you use whole milk, yogurt, or cottage cheese in the batter.

-To hold your waffles before serving, keep the finished waffles warm in a 200°F oven, placing it directly on the oven rack. They will hold for 20-30 minutes using this method.

-Cool waffles on a cooling rack before you put them into storage. Stack cooled waffles between squares of waxed paper or parchment paper and pack into a plastic container or plastic bag (press out as much air as possible from the bag). Waffles freeze up to 1 month.

-Reheating... Place in a single layer directly on the oven rack of a preheated 350°F oven. No need to defrost them. They take about 10 minutes to heat. Keep in mind thicker waffles will take longer than thin waffles.

-Grainlady

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Grainlady:
    I knew that !!! Lol

Bobby:
    " Found it very interesting "
    I tried to help you but you seem to have your mind set.

Maybe one day you will try a new thicker Waffle Batter and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    If my Recipe wasn't good, I wouldn't tell anyone to use it.

But what I can't understand is, when someone asks for help,

Why would they keep doing the same thing that didn't work, with batter running all over the Countertop.
    Isn't it worth a try ???
    Lou

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

I am just learning about waffles too. Grainlady's tips are very good. My SD waffle batter is very thin so I have to leave the lid up and let the batter cook for about 30 seconds before closing it, just to avoid batter running down everywhere.

My Belgium waffle iron hold about 1/2 cup of batter. I pour batter on the back half then the front half, start from the center and use the bottom of my measuring up to spread the batter out. No need to spread all the way to the edge because once the lid is down it will push the batter out more.

My waffle iron has a dial to adjust the crispiness of the waffle, as well as a green light indicator. I usually use "#3" which is medium heat. I don't use the green light but to watch the steam (bad habit? LOL). Once I don't see any steam, I lift the lid to check for doneness. I too, have waffles more brown on the bottom than the top (because I let the waffles cook open-lid first). So I flip the waffle over (now the upside is in contact with the bottom of the iron), close the lid for another 30 - 60 seconds. When I open the lid again, both sides are browned evenly.

And Lou, I definitely will try out your recipe next time. Thanks for sharing!

Al

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok Lou, here's the deal. I posted to get help gauging the proper amount of batter to put in the waffle iron. I like my recipe, and it is pretty thick. I do not like whole wheat flour, so that is why I didn't try your advice. Now if I had posted a thread asking for the best whole grain waffle recipe in the world, I'd have tried your recipe. I didn't realize that you were pointing me to the other thread specifically so that I would use your recipe. I thought you were just doing it because it contained good overall information. It did... someone mentioned an Alton Brown waffle episode. I found it on Youtube and enjoyed and learned from it. I don't take all the advice I get, and I doubt anyone does. I read it and decide with my own common sense if I should try it. I still appreciate advice that I don't take though. The person who typed it spent time and effort doing it just to help me and that is very nice.

I saw the Alton Brown waffle video on youtube. It is very neat and I learned to leave a gap of space between the batter and the edge of the waffle iron. He also mentioned cooking for 30 seconds with the lid open before closing it. Of course I found the video after I made the waffles!

Of course Grainlady suggested that here too... Thank you once again for your expert advice! I used your reheating tip this morning and the waffles heated up beautifully from frozen. Very important for me as I don't have room for a regular toaster or toaster oven. Thanks also for confirming that 5 minutes is OK for a waffle iron. I thought there was something wrong with mine because it wasn't done in 90 seconds.

:o)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Bobby....the "rule of thumb" is to ladle some batter into the waffle iron and if it overflows....you put in too much...add less next time! As I said "Practice Practice Practice!!
    Your waffle recipe is what I use....but I use melted butter instead of oil ( mostly....sometimes I get lazy) and add 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract.
    It's probably healthier to use whole wheat flour in everything...but sometimes I just want white fluffy waffles....and pie crust and biscuits.
    Remember...practice makes perfect....or at least better....well maybe it just makes lots of waffles!
    Linda C

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Just a thought, in case someone hasn't already suggested it. Place your iron in a jelly roll pan. It'll contain the mess. Easier to clean than letting it drip all over the counter and floor.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

FOAS, that's a good tip, I still over fill my waffle maker sometimes.

Bobby, it's all a matter of practice, soon you'll know how full and how long to cook them. I like whole grain waffles, but the kids like the fluffy white ones so that's what I mostly make. You have a recipe you like, so I say keep using that and keep practicing.

As I mentioned, I still over fill mine sometimes, if I get distracted and don't pay close enough attention, and then I get that mess to clean up.

Maybe less of a mess, thanks to FOAS...

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

FOAS is right. That jellyroll pan helps cut down on the mess quite a bit.

Bobby, five minutes is about how long it took the Salton, too. The other thing is to make sure it's BACK up to temp before you put in the next waffle. That will cut down on the chance of anything sticking.

You would think the companies would include a little ladle with the waffle irons like how rice cookers come with measuring cups. It would at least help us get it a little closer to the correct amount.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Bobby : I apologize.
    Sorry ! I had you mixed up between the 2 Posts.
    Thought you wanted some WW flour in the mix.

You can omit the WW if you ever want too try the recipe.
    It is basically the same as your's except for a few minor things. Might make the difference.
    Thanks, Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

And, in reading the thread carefully, I also see that Mike suggested the jelly roll pan and Grainlady suggested foil. So why the heck didn't it ever dawn on me to put something under the blasted waffle maker, huh?

Annie

• jimster
    14 years ago

Working in jellyroll pan is a good idea. A similar idea is to have a cake pan in your cupboard and place all your oil bottles and oil cans in it. It keeps the shelf clean.

Jim

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Why does everyone have the batter running all over the counter. ???

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Because our eyes are bigger than the waffle iron? LOL Al

• blubird
    14 years ago

I have the same Cuisinart waffle iron as Hawk. I make a nice thick batter with one of the recipes from the included recipe book - the Nutty Whole Wheat Waffles - yummm - and I've found that if I use a 1/3 cup dry measuring cup, there's no spillover and it makes a perfect waffle. As mentioned above, I pour in the batter towards the back half of the waffle maker and close the top - voila - perfect waffles every time.

Helene

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Hello Helene, welcome to the forum! Your idea sounds like if we find a set measuring item for the batter, we should keep it. I just eye-ball my ladle, I'll try your method.