SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

where to find instructions for DIY solar hot water

naplesgardener
17 years ago

OK I'm want to install solar hot water to replace our electric unit. Several issues:

1.No one locally (100 miles) installs them-only pool heaters (I live in Naples FL)

2.We are not capable of DIY

3. Electric backup is only choice-no gas or LP possible.

So what I'm thinking is getting our handyman who is licensed plumber to do it after we have a primer in hand to guide him/us through it. Or should we use an electrician as the primary rather than a plumber?

We seem to be in the perfect climate (sunny/mild) to take advantage of solar but there is VERY little solar in South Florida. Not because electric is cheap, it's not.

Nor is it reliable. Even in non-hurricane season we have short-term interruption to electric service.

Reasons for lack of installers I can think of are that the rich are here only 2-3 months a year (or less) and don't see solar cost benefit and there aren't enough year-round upper-middle spenders. Bulk of population is young family types and older retired with less disposable income.

Where can I get nuts and bolts HOW TO manual? If we can't explain how to do it it won't be done.

Comments (7)

Sponsored